M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my favorite store and I saw a used Essex 1911.Is this an old USGI or a comercial clone 1911? are these good shooters?

·
Registered
90 Posts
it is one of the better aftermarket clones. their QC is good, and the fit and finish, provided whoever assembled it didn't bugger it up, is great. they make their stuff to tighter than USGI spec, so they are used often to build competition guns, but that doesn't detract at all from a useability standpoint.

they build frames and slides, so most of the other parts are someting else, so you should check and see if the dealer knows any of the history, or could gice you info on the origianl seller. then you can find out the who, what, when, where and how :D

all things being equal, it's probably one helluva shooter.

good luck and keep us updated.

chris

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
I bought a 1911 years ago that was built on an essex frame. Has a colt action safari grips and not sure about the compensator and sight but she was built for competive shooting and she is one of my favorits to shoot while at the range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Essex frames and slides are underated. The metaluragy and tolerances are outstanding. I've built many a 1911's on all of the different government 1911's. A current Essex frame or slide far surpasses anything made in WWII.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wayne 45bravo said:
Essex frames and slides are underated. The metaluragy and tolerances are outstanding. I've built many a 1911's on all of the different government 1911's. A current Essex frame or slide far surpasses anything made in WWII.
The latter war years, IE 44 and 45 were quite good with hardened slides and flame hardened around the slidelock hole. The metallurgy was pretty good, much better then the ww1 guns and intervening years. I doubt that essex is much better. I have a 100% Ram rand from 1945, I assure you that the tolerences are much better then one would think, and I dount that essex does much better today. I have 2 number matching late 41 Colts also, sloppy is not a word one would use to describe the fit of those either. On the other hand, every 1911A1 I carried in the service was pretty worn out,[early to mid 80s] and I bought the "sloppy" bit also at the time, I realized later some of it was because of the parts mixing that continuously went on when weapons cleaning.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
For awhile , I was selling 1911s made with Brazillian surplus slides (Itajuba , maker of Springfield Inc stuff) , Essex frames and USGI parts filling it out. The frames are investmeot cast and do need some detailing , but they ain't that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.