M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Art's thread on improving accurate ammunition, http://m14forum.com/m14/113302-improved-accuracy.html. While I understand the gist of it I'd like recommendations for equipment. I have a Dillon 550b that I've reloaded pistol ammo on and a single stage that I've owned even longer that I've loaded plinking .223 on with Lee dies. I'd like to use my presses to their utmost. Bamban stated some of his equipment in Art's thread. I didn't want to hijack it so I'm starting this one. Please give me the equipment you recommend and why.

TIA,
Marty

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I have a preference for Redding dies and the Sinclair benchrest single stage press ( http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33635/Product/Sinclair-7-8-14-Benchrest-Press ) for my accuracy ammo.

I've use RCBS, Lee, and Hornady dies and the Redding dies are just more consistent and have less slop in them. The press is small enough to be portable and it's built to tighter specs than most other presses. All these things result in cartridges that have very little run-out and are more accurate. I can throw my reloading equipment in to an egg crate, take it to the range, and build ammo on the spot. At home it doesn't take up a lot of bench space.

For building general use ammo, I'd stick with the Dillon or go with an RCBS progressive press. Hornady isn't quite as good as either of those presses but their quick change system for switching out the dies is handy.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Failed to mention the single stage press is a Hornady that I've had for about 20 years and it was used when I got it. Although the Sinclair looks nice and appears bulletproof I need to concentrate on other equipment. I'm in Nursing School and building on the equipment I have is the financial route I have to go. After I get my license and get a job, then I might look into replacing the Hornady press.

Marty

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Original Thread

I was reading Art's thread on improving accurate ammunition, http://m14forum.com/m14/113302-improved-accuracy.html. While I understand the gist of it I'd like recommendations for equipment. I have a Dillon 550b that I've reloaded pistol ammo on and a single stage that I've owned even longer that I've loaded plinking .223 on with Lee dies. I'd like to use my presses to their utmost. Bamban stated some of his equipment in Art's thread. I didn't want to hijack it so I'm starting this one. Please give me the equipment you recommend and why.

TIA,
Marty

Please feel free to use that Thread, keeping this material together is easier to follow, or at least confine it to one place. Art

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
RCBS X-Die for sizing, so you don't have to trim cases as often and brass lasts longer.

Forster Bench Rest Seater die for better case/bullet alignment while seating. Redding Competition Seater uses same design and has a micrometer (Forster offers one of those as well) but the Redding costs almost twice as much.

Any single stage press for resizing rifle cases because they are more rigid. With turret or progressive presses, there always seems to be some deflection of the shellplate or head where the dies are mounted. Forster Co-Ax would be my first choice for a single-stage press, again because of superior rigidity and better alignment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One thing I have learned in 40 + yrs of reloading; don't be block headed about just one brand. Be open minded.
I used to think Dillon had the best and only dies. Wrong! As I tried others, I realized they all had their strong points.

I think TinMan had some good advice on the dies.

I love progressives, but as far as single stage, Hollywoods are tough to beat!

Small footprint and All American Prime BEEF!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Storm, you have to realize that I am an unemployed Nursing student. Therefore I limited funds and need to get the best bang for my buck using what I already have. After I have my diploma and license then I can look into getting different equipment.

Marty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.