M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: why didn't I think of this before? 8O Please note, the following conclusions and statements are derived from my personal experience and reflection on my growth as a gun-owner. I apologize in advance for the long winded rambling, but I hope to scare up some other thoughts from y'all.

It just hit me this morning while riding my bicycle to work: your average college student or fresh graduate-aged individual, if they didn't grow up in a pro-gun family, would have NO CLUE what the AWB was or what it banned. I lived in the FL Keys until 5th grade(1986), and was around guns all the time. Yes, they were loaded, yes I knew where they were, no I NEVER dreamed of handling one without permission. I was told how it was, and that's the way it was. Something about education and respect, something that's missing in a lot of America today. When I moved to Tampa to live with my dad (folks were divorced early on) for 6th grade on, there were no guns..... dad is fairly indifferent, and sorely under-educated on the subject, but would support "reasonable" restrictions- we all know what that means (his argument, "we accept all kinds of restrictions on our freedoms. Having to drive on the right side of the road for example" my reply- "dad, you don't have a constitutional right to own or operate a vehicle" hell, that argument is way off-base to begin with). Anyway, in 1994 I was a sophomore in college and didn't know about the AWB. I was busy, er, with other pursuits. By the time I was 23, I'd picked up an interest in firearms on my own and it went from there. I learned as much as I could about the laws and restrictions and about such things as "anti-gun" people then too. I really began to learn a lot as I was preparing to get my CCW; I read Chapter 790 of the Florida Statutes in it's entirety(it took several reads to comprehend, and occasional re-reading is useful), and found several websites that explained them "in plain English," and other websites including www.rkba.org www.packing.org and GOA and NRA to name just a few. I have learned about gun-control legislation starting in 1934 and on, including German gun-control and its consequences. Funny, it's through guns that I took an interest in politics in general, firearms legislation in specific.

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that your average 20-something liberal wouldn't know much about the AWB, guns, or crime statistics. They were only 10+ when it was enacted, so short of some responsible education by a pro-gun parent/friend/organization, their only source on info would be the liberal media, and we all know how objective and accurate they are. They simply regurgitate the same BS they've been fed, and while I don't condone spouting off at the mouth when you're truly ignorant, I understand the phenomenon in a different light now.

As it is, I've been re-educating (de-programming) people in my social circles about what the AWB really was about and what effect it really had. It's amazing how many folks are BADLY misinformed on this subject, and I can only assume are misinformed on countless other subjects brought to their attention by the mainstream liberal media. I only know the part of the story I hear to, but I know enough to investigate other sources :wink:

So while it's frustrating to deal with these people, it's worth trying to explain to them the whole ball of wax. Take 'em shooting, if you feel comfortable with them holding your $2k M1A, or start them off with ye ol' standby Ruger 10/22 with some new cheap 25 round mags. A lot of times you can begin good discourse by showing them how fun it can be, but hammer home the responsibility of it all too. Some folks you never will get through to, but every person you can help to see the light is an extra vote for our side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
woodpuppy said:
As it is, I've been re-educating (de-programming) people in my social circles about what the AWB really was about and what effect it really had. It's amazing how many folks are BADLY misinformed on this subject, and I can only assume are misinformed on countless other subjects brought to their attention by the mainstream liberal media. I only know the part of the story I hear to, but I know enough to investigate other sources :wink:
ditto, I was an art major in college so i was pretty much the only conservative gun owner in the whole Art department. Everyone from the Chair of the department to the incomming freshman were lefty liberals. Since I am Puerto Rican and an artist they would just assume I was a liberal like them. I loved to see the expression on their faces when they found out I was/am a Marine and had an affinity for guns. It was torture though when we would critique artwork and they would do these left leaning political works and get all lefty on me. I managed to change a a few minds and got into some good debates in which I won. I was easy to stump them because most of them depeded on the mainstream media and the entertainment industry i.e. 'Bowling for Columbine' for their news and as we all know most of that is BS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw something recently about the Colorado legislature, a new measure to insure the rights of conservative college students. God Bless, an idea long overdue!
Two entities need to be forced to shed their bias, The Media and Academia.
The Media needs to be all the more ashamed, the foundations of free speech and free association have been abandoned by the manistream press. The media has become a pundit of leftist agenda.
Academia has no more excuse really, the idea of liberal education should embrace all viewpoints of any given topic- the sad reality is that it has become a censored, liberal-biased coven of the leftist "elite" (at least they think they are elite).
The Ban had no effect on crime, affected legal gun owners only (for the most part) and was to be frank- just plain silly. Punish the guilty, but this is an idea which flies in the face of what now passes for "liberal", so- in order to be "doing his job" a liberal lawmaker needs laws to make- not criminals to punish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.