M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have any real experence with the EoTech and the M1A / Standard or Socom? Is it really that good or just a gimick? pricy too?? Thanks for your time and advice

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
we have the eotech on my wifes M4 and she loves it. although reading memoirs from soldiers in afganastan /iraq say that after a few mild bump
and bruizes? unserviceable! so when when marty at badger ord. finishes
his prototype 3 screw barrel mount with handgaurd mod included goes
public, all my M14s will have this done along with aimpoint scopes.
p.s. if you have your heart set on the eotech, be advised,unless you get
the eotech with nvd it is way to bright for pitch black nights. city use with
normal ambient light a ok!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have not used the EOTech on my M1A But, I use an Aimpoint ml2 on a scout mount. Love it! At 100yds I keep a constaint 2-3 inch group. I have a Tac Star flashlight w/presure switch mounted under the gas cylinder and at night it allows for a quick illunation of the target for ID then as I squeeze of the shot the light goes out. At 50 YDS night shoot I keep under 2 inch group. For LE perimeter rifle it stands up well. I have the Aimpoint on a riser with a sight tunnel so I can use the iron sights without removing the scope. I do hold a tighter group with the iron sight in the daytime.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have an Eotech on my Bush M1A on a Smith mount.I really ike it and as Sunrise said They are fast The circle around the dot has been useful to me in figuring Kentucky windage on longer (500+ yd) shots

I haven't dropped my rifle or abused the sight in any way so I can't speak personally about durability, but it certainly seems stout and the reviews have been very good.
I have another Eotech ready for my LRB when it arrives

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had a couple of EOTechs. Sent one back twice when it just stopped working. Not hard enough for my needs.

Had one on a 45ACP AR upper, and the recoil killed it within 50 rounds.

Went to Aimpoint and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got an EoTech on my standard, and I love it. They're being used on M14's in the sandbox now. You can find pictures of them in use like that.

The only drawback is that it feels kind of funny without a cheekweld. Same for any optic I guess. I agree that it's too bright for pitch black use.

It hits effortlessly at 200 yards, I can tell you that. Longest range I have available. Hits rapid and fast too. You don't lose the reticle on recoil.

BTW, the aimpoint has a 4 moa dot, the EoTech 1 moa. That factored heavy in my decision.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ok, let me pull pin and throw grenade.....
How are the dots measured? From what eye relief? If you are using a scout mount vs. a receiver mount is the dot size in relation to the target changed?
I use a scout mount with a ml2 aimpoint at 100 yds with a 4 inch bullseye I can just see the edge of the bullseye. For a combat battle rifle 4 inch is good. If I was a Precision Marksman that would not be even close to qual.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It's just a smaller dot than the one on your Aimpoint -- 1 MOA vs. 4MOA. No idea what the size of the dots are. Yes, I think the distance from your eyeball to the dot will affect the relative size of the dot - but at the same distance the EOTech dot would be smaller than the Aimpoint dot.

Where your dot would cover the entire 4" bull at 100 yds, an EOTech dot will cover only the center 1".

The EOTech is smaller, lighter, less cumbersome, more accurate & cheaper. Probably not as rugged as the Aimpoint. I definately like the smaller/lighter "heads up display" type sights better than the heavier/bulkier tube type though.

I thought about getting one recently, but I went really cheap & got a Hakko Panorama 4 MOA red dot. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As you move the EOTech away from the eye, the relative size of the dot stays the same.... (in other words, it looks like it "grows" a bit as it moves away)

FYI, I chatted w/ a tech person at EOTech, and the dot is actually 1/2 MOA -- but the average human eye only has enough resolution to see it as 1 MOA. In other words, the eye can only process a pinpoint of light into "one pixel;" if it's 1/3, 1/2 or 1/4, it lights the whole pixel...and that "pixel" in the eye is about 1 MOA... (photoreceptor, or rods/cones for you persnicketty types)

Also, in addition to their designing a 3.75x magnifier/viewer that'll quick-detach in front of the holosight, they're designing a 600 meter BDC reticle (5.56mm SS109 from an M-4) for the next-generation holosight...

My ballistics program tells me that an M-4 and M-14's ballistics are roughly within 1 MOA out to 500 meters...and the person I was chatting with was an M1A person, like us -- but I couldn't get him to "cheat" the reticle in between the 2 weapons' ballistics profiles... Go figure. :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Eotech and Aimpoint both are great at what they do. I have a Eotech, the bigger window and not having to look through a tube lets me get follow up shots alot faster.

Durability wise, they are both being used over seas by the military right now.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for those of you who have mouted the EOTech on the receiver - anyone haveing a problem with brass hitting the Eotech on it way out??

·
Registered
403 Posts
[quotefor those of you who have mouted the EOTech on the receiver - anyone haveing a problem with brass hitting the Eotech on it way out??][/quote]

I would like to see this also. The base on the EoTech seems too broad...I mounted mine the "old" fashion Scout way......

Triggerman

Triggerman

·
Registered
900 Posts
for those of you who have mouted the EOTech on the receiver - anyone haveing a problem with brass hitting the Eotech on it way out??
I have my Eotech on a Smith Enterprise mount and this is not an issue

·
Registered
403 Posts
Bigchoad said:
I have my Eotech on a Smith Enterprise mount and this is not an issue
Please post pics. I would be interested in seeing your setup... :D

Triggerman

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Aimpoint ml2 2x, I highly reccomend it the whole thing with me was to get durablity and some magnfication the 2x give me a 2moa dot which is perfect for my needs I would reccomend you give it a look at any questions on it pm me

·
Registered
403 Posts
Pics people PICS!!!

Triggerman

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is my Loaded "Seminole" Aimpoint set-up....but I will be transfering the Aimpoint to my Fulton "Bush" when she gets here early Feb. Might put glass on this puppy...or just keep it irons!!

Triggerman

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those of you interested, I just got back from the Shot Show and got to compare some red dots side by side... Like everything in life - these are just my thoughts on this subject. to avoid double posting here ... I will just post the link

http://www.m-14forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11752&highlight=

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.