M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys who out there has a good working knowledge of the difference between the
http://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/holosight.html
and the
http://www.eotech-inc.com/comp_about.php

who has used one and how do you like it for the M1A? I know shoot the Socom and will be building another "Scout" type gun in the future. I will be using these in the "three gun matches" nothing out past about 200 yd's if that

I have also looked at the http://www.millettsights.com/open.html Only because the "red dot" size is adjustable..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Without a cheek rest--yes you do have to hold your head up
It can give you some bad habits but boyoboy they are fast & accurate
Once you get it zeroed--If the red dot is on the target
you will hit it

You still need to practice with iron sights though for the day the battery dies ;)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Eotech is a more "hardened" sight than the one they make for Bushnell, and is also available with night vision device compatability.

I had an Eotech 552 on my SOCOM, but didn't like how high the lens was. I had to nearly rest my chin on the stock to see through it. The Eotech is specifically designed to sit on a flattop AR-stype rifle and cowitness with the front sight, which is 2.5" inches above the centerline of the bore. A lot higher than on an M14-type rifle.

I sold the Eotech and bought an Aimpoint CompM2 with their standard 30mm extra wide Picatinny ring, flip-up lens covers and the ARD KillFlash. It sits perfectly, it's as low as you can go and still mount it. It's as quick as my Eotech was, but the center of the lens is about 1" lower. Instead of the circle-dot reticle of the Eotech, the Aimpoint just has an adjustable dot.

The CompM2 is night vision device compatible, the slightly less expensive CompML2 is the same sight, but it is not NVD compatible. The Aimpoints are in wide use by US military forces and meet or exceed all military specifications for such devices.

Here's a stock photo from Springfield's website, shows the SOCOM with the Aimpoint mounted:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started this post back in Jan and was trying to decide on what sight.. Since then I started building a LRB/SE - however, I caught Mst Maze at a weak moment and stole his SE/LRB and it has the Aimpoint - which I love... Still waiting for Ron at SE to get the 18" barrels to maybe finish the other project??

·
Banned
296 Posts
I have both an original style Bushnell HOLOsight and a late model EOtech. I have had no problems with either. The EOtech does have a stout cover, but sits higher than the origional style Bushnell.

Bushnell is coming out soon with a low profile HOLOsight called the HOLOsight XLP for under $200.

I'm going to try one.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I purchased an eotech AA battery model after doing some homework on the subject. It will be going on a Garand tanker. I currently have it mounted on a BM62. Easy choice is to get an adjustable cheek rest or strap on type cheek rest. I definately like the eotech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.