M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e057/IMG_3336.jpg.html][/URL]

M1/M14 rifles iron sights Dirty Bird Challenge.

100 yards, 10 rnds any ammo on 8" Dirty Bird Splatter Target.

Total score then X count for entry.
Please write date, score, Xs and rifle on target before posting photo.

Individuals are more than welcome to post multiple entries for the month. Not limited to just one. Hey, this is fun. Your top score for the month will be the counter. Gives folks a chance to move up the ladder.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I will start this game with one of my targets shot today 1/1/2020 to bring in the New Year right!

96 0 X is a great start!

It is a rare day indeed when the front post is clear for so many shots; looking forward to some great shooting guys...

Attachments

Reactions: Allen Humphrey

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Well shoot Jeff, I thought I was going to lead the pack with my BM-59 95-1X

I shot a 95 1X today as well Douglas Haig!
Yours was prettier

Attachments

Reactions: Allen Humphrey

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
Nope that’s off the bench, the Italian BM59 clone isn’t on the accuracy level of M14 clones . I’m going to practice this month maybe try some reloads and see what it’s potential is. If I can get a group all inside the middle of the nines I’d be really pleased.

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great way to start off the new year.

1. Burnt Nitrates 100-5x
2. JEFF JP N JJ 96-0x
3. Douglas Haig 95-1x

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Excellent BN!
I always liked the Amax bullets and they shot better than their hp twins for me too.
Hard to never find them in bulk though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mornin' all. 100-5x. 39°, quarter wind (NW) 15 mph with gusts, bright PC.

Changed to the HOR 168 gn. A-Max vice the HPBT. Much more consistent OAL's.

Man it's great to see a front sight post... lovin' it.

BN

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BN, I'm loading AMAXs for my handloads as we speak. Not trying to copy your load exactly, but what combination of powders, primers, and brass are you using? I'm going with 4064, LC brass, and CCI #200 primers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My load:
42.7 grains VARGET
CCI BR-2 primer
Hornady 168 grain A-Max; No crimp
Lapua case
2.796" OAL
Velocity (41° at 420 ft elevation): 2473 fps SD: 12
It the maximum load listed in the Hornady Service Rifle section for a 168 and VARGET. Hence it's definitely safe for M1A.
Hope this helps...
BN

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
On the IMR-4064 side of things, try 41.6 grains with a 168 grain pill. Can't recall the primer. The case was a surplus LC. OAL 2.800". It was a mild load but was accurate. I'll load some up and get it on the crono next weekend.
BN

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I got measured with my cronograph today 2649 to 2673 fps using 175gr Sierra's in Peterson brass with a thrown charge of 41.0gr H4895/WMGLR primers.

QuickLOAD shows 2556 fps with this load?

·
Registered
399 Posts
On the IMR-4064 side of things, try 41.6 grains with a 168 grain pill. Can't recall the primer. The case was a surplus LC. OAL 2.800". It was a mild load but was accurate. I'll load some up and get it on the crono next weekend.
BN

Thanks for the info. I should have my loads ready next week for testing.

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great way to start off the new year.

1. Burnt Nitrates 100-5x
2. JB3617 97-2x
3. JEFF JP N JJ 96-0x
4. Douglas Haig 95-1x

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
My new entry for the Dirty Bird

Went out today after getting a bit of sleep and shot up some older ammo I had loaded up last December on these two dirty birds.
I started using the one on the left as a sighter and shot 2 5rd groups with sight adjustments in between; score: 92-1X
Did some sight adjustment and shot the right dirty bird with a full 10rd magazine...
MY personal best so far on this game... Good load for the dirty bird as well, I think.
Score: 99-4X

Packed it away and went to play with my scoped JAE M1A to try and learn how to shoot her!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.