M14 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ill stick with the old technology. Hump back shot gun, 1911, and the M14. Dont need no fancy guros likes lights,lazers and kitchen sinks hanging off my guns. View attachment 447588 View attachment 447590
Uhhh, 'scu me, 'scu me, BUT where is your Brown Bess, your 1854 Harper's Ferry, Sharps, Winchester Model 1873 and Model 94, Lee Enfield, Krag, O3,1917 Enfield, BAR, M1 Carbine, M3, 98K and/or Thompson?

Jarhead

Reactions: HermCorps

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,688 Posts
Uhhh, 'scu me, 'scu me, BUT where is your Brown Bess, your 1854 Harper's Ferry, Sharps, Winchester Model 1873 and Model 94, Lee Enfield, Krag, O3,1917 Enfield, BAR, M1 Carbine, M3, 98K and/or Thompson?

Jarhead
Not a fan of carbines, mausers, enfields, anything foreign in general. BAR was on the list for awhile though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not a fan of carbines, mausers, enfields, anything foreign in general. BAR was on the list for awhile though.
My Dad used to say he preferred "low tech" to all the hi-tech guns. He would much rather a Mauser, O3, M1, 1911 and S & Ws to newer pieces.

Jarhead

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gents,

I'm sick and tired of other folks running down the M-14 and it's variants. Whether it's stock issue rifles or something like the M-14 DMR and the EBR series of rifles the M-14 is still "getting it done" out there. Those that use them love them. Could it use some upgrades? Maybe, but remember it's a tool. The Man is the weapon. Those that take time to learn, and master, the M-14 are still in good stead and have a deadly weapon in their hands.

Personally, I'd like to see a run of Bula mil spec rifles for reissue to the troops that need M-14's. Upgrade the optics and we'd be good to go. A Bula M-14 with an ACOG would be sweet to say the least.

I do not advocate the general issue of AR-10 type rifles to the troops.

If the M-14 has one shortcoming its speed of reloading. I believe that could possibly be addressed with a modified magazine and a push button or lever that could speed up the reloading process.

Food for thought. I have most of the M-14's and their variants and do not find them lacking.

Wes
Tired old Dinosaur
There are plenty of AR-10's out there that run just fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don’t know, I think for me (a lefty) a mag change is faster with a 14 than AR. And I’ve never been burned by brass from a 14, can’t say the same about M16 variants.
As a fellow southpaw you ain't BS'ing there! Once the brass deflector was added to the AR it wasn't an issue, but I carried an M16A1 for my time as an Army grunt in the mid 80's.

Reactions: tgilkey

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gents,

I'm sick and tired of other folks running down the M-14 and it's variants. Whether it's stock issue rifles or something like the M-14 DMR and the EBR series of rifles the M-14 is still "getting it done" out there. Those that use them love them. Could it use some upgrades? Maybe, but remember it's a tool. The Man is the weapon. Those that take time to learn, and master, the M-14 are still in good stead and have a deadly weapon in their hands.

Personally, I'd like to see a run of Bula mil spec rifles for reissue to the troops that need M-14's. Upgrade the optics and we'd be good to go. A Bula M-14 with an ACOG would be sweet to say the least.

I do not advocate the general issue of AR-10 type rifles to the troops.

If the M-14 has one shortcoming its speed of reloading. I believe that could possibly be addressed with a modified magazine and a push button or lever that could speed up the reloading process.

Food for thought. I have most of the M-14's and their variants and do not find them lacking.

Wes
Tired old Dinosaur
You’ll never hear a bad word from me about the M14. My M1A is my favorite rifle, and I have several. It’s tried and true as far as I’m concerned,so for those that do have negative feedback on them,, well, to each his own🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
64 Posts
If i were gonna field 10,000 warfighters with rifles, I'd give them AR-10s. In that mission, the supply line, support, training, and performance all give the nod to the AR-10 and no amount of posturing and howling changes that.

But I'm not doing that. Nor are the pompous twits that make blogs and vlogs placing their self-centered opinions on display. These guys like to THINK they're the Grand Emperor Supreme Military Commander Of All Things, and that's fine, we all do that from time-to-time, but so what? There are nearby taverns where I can hear endless words of unqualified drunks often with my favorite song playing in the background. So I don't need their online testosterone "advising" me.

I actually own multiples of both - or did before that tragic boating accident - and each has their desirable traits. What i don't get and have never gotten is the need to trash ANOTHER rifle besides your own. Who is that insecure?? Do they give these rifles to 9 year olds? What's this playground mentality all about?

Anyone that stoops to insulting my M14 has just told me he's without merit in his position and without fortitude in his character. But then, the same holds true for anyone trashing my AR-10 -- well, you know, if it's ever recovered from the watery grave.
Yep,,, kinda makes you wonder””now just why did I have all my weapons in the boat that awful day”” ... sad how that’s happened to so many of us,, ain’t it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The M14 was built in a time when kids knew which end of a shovel to hold onto and didn't need a cell to tell them how to get home. View attachment 447560
Don't know where that was but I could have been in that firing line. I'm just disappointed in the posts that find their way on a site dedicated to the M-14/M1-A. Why do people who think them inferior even come here?

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,688 Posts
Don't know where that was but I could have been in that firing line. I'm just disappointed in the posts that find their way on a site dedicated to the M-14/M1-A. Why do people who think them inferior even come here?
Note all the 100mm Unertl Spotting scopes on the line... Must be an old picture, probably 300 yard RF. I sure miss those days on the range. I had to work really hard to earn my DRB with the M14 and I loved every minute of it!
That poster I got from the springfield armory booth at camp perry 5 years ago,Makes a nice wall hanger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sick and tired of other folks running down the M-14 and it's variants
TL/DR -- well actually yes I did read it - and that's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

The whole tirade could have been reduced to one line: "Nyet, Rifle Is Fine."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting. In my travels around various interweb gun pages, I see nothing but praise for the M14 platform, be it from experience or just sentiment from military service. I trained with a '14 in the Army and was as fond of it as anyone here. That said, I'm glad I didn't have to hump it in-country.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only two complaints I know of personally, were uncontrollability in full auto and from the ones on the end of the muzzle. Trashed the AR's when they came out and stayed with M14's, Carbine's and AK's - never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As one dinosaur to another Wes, the only shortcoming with an M14 falls on the untrained person blabbing about imperfections. Mag changes have never been a problem for a good operator. The M14 is probably the most reliable semi-auto battle rifle ever " next to the AK-47" which undoubtedly holds that record.

Agree again the a AR10 would never work out as a general issue, way too many unreliable reports from its trials in the past.

So, keep on enjoying your variants and give the uneducated the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

Art
Another tired old Dinosaur
Just remember how you were trained. Train like you Fight.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I’m 54, the 1st rifle I ever shot was a M16a1
I do love the AR platform, in all its calibers, I have multiple.

With that being said, there is just something about the M1 and M1A that makes for a truly extraordinary shooting experience. Wether it be wood and steel or a modern rendition like the Sage EBR.

It’s the 1911 of the gun world, an iconic classic, a fan favorite.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Interesting. In my travels around various interweb gun pages, I see nothing but praise for the M14 platform, be it from experience or just sentiment from military service. I trained with a '14 in the Army and was as fond of it as anyone here. That said, I'm glad I didn't have to hump it in-country.
Only thing, you won't get much "praise" around here if you refer to the Beloved M-14 as a "platform".

Jus' sayin'.

Jarhead

41 - 57 of 57 Posts