M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Where are you zero-ed to get +40 MOA elevation? From a 100 yard zero, I believe you will need around 43 MOA minimum to get out to 1000 yards. I like the old B-Square mounts because they let you adjust the elevation in the mount itself.

This is assuming you are shooting a 168 HPBT at around 2600 fps MV.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Cowpoke,
35 to 45 MOA drop out to 1000 yards is why a lot of scope mounts have around a 20 MOA angle built in. If you want to be sure you have the elevation range, you could just get a scope with a 30 mm tube. I use a couple Tasco Super Snipers with 30 mm tubes. I believe their adjustment range is around 120 MOA or so. (Don't remember exactly but it was much more than I needed. My other Target Scopes are Leupold Vari-X IIIs. Some are EFR, some are not. Nominally they have 48 MOA internal adjustment, but I tested one (EFR) out to around 54 MOA up past my 100 yard zero.

The way I tested was to hang a super high target (several sheets of computer paper) out at 100 yards. The aiming point was at the low end. I would shoot one round and go up 10 MOA. When I tried for +60 MOA, the scope was clicking fine, but the bullet hole was only up 54 MOA. After that, I adjusted down 10 MOA each time and fired another shot. The shots going up and coming down were fairly close and easily sub-MOA for group for each pair (only a two round group).

One Leupold 6.5-20X non-Target scope stopped adjusting when I tried something similar. It would not adjust back down. The Extended Focus Range Target scope had no problems.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
420 Posts
SWFA is where I bought mine. I returned one because it looked like it had a small piece of hair inside. Only one is mounted and it sits on a 26 inch heavy barrel Remington 700 in .308. I can easily hold 1/2 MOA out to 200 meters with that gun. The M14 types only get slightly under 3/4 MOA at the same distance.

BTW, I seemed to have goofed up the message you quoted. I had meant to say that most high power rifles have a drop of 35 to 45 MOA if they can reach out to 1000 yards.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you want a real number for elevation adjustments, talk to your local high power shooters who go out to 1000 yards with a M14 type. Ask them what their come-ups are. That might not match your particular gun but it ought to be close.

BTW, By my understanding, a 168 HPBT out of a 22 inch barrel M14 type won't make it out to 1000 yards. The bullets go transonic just a bit past 900 yards.

- Ivan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.