M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would you want to?

I know times are hard. I myself after being laid off for a while thought seriously about going back in. I look at the current state of affairs with Army and Marines violating their oaths and posse comitatus, commiting whole brigades to training for civil unrest, and a train of usurpations and missuse of our forces. Generals being pushed out, woman in combat MOS's. Standards being dropped. VA getting guys hooked on percocet, budget cuts / not knowing if you'll get paid or receive your full retirement, and our country currently working very hard to pick a fight right now. I would say stay home where we need hard working moral Americans. There doesnt seem to be any more honor in the wars we wage now. But, This is only my constitutionally protected opinion.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That information is out of date. There was a couple of years where the Army was taking folks that old. The cap is now 35 unless you have prior service in which case they deduct those years to determine your "enlistment age". That being said I believe the Regular Army is accepting prior service for 18X if it applies for retraining and maybe one or two 35 series jobs if you already hold the MOS. Otherwise your SOL for the RA. The Army Reserve will retrain you in about half the career fields. It will vary from MOS to MOS and unit to unit whether a job is "will-train" or not.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I know times are hard. I myself after being laid off for a while thought seriously about going back in. I look at the current state of affairs with Army and Marines violating their oaths and posse comitatus, commiting whole brigades to training for civil unrest, and a train of usurpations and missuse of our forces. Generals being pushed out, woman in combat MOS's. Standards being dropped. VA getting guys hooked on percocet, budget cuts / not knowing if you'll get paid or receive your full retirement, and our country currently working very hard to pick a fight right now. I would say stay home where we need hard working moral Americans. There doesnt seem to be any more honor in the wars we wage now. But, This is only my constitutionally protected opinion.
I agree, although there are still a few of us left trying to keep things real. The PC mafia, however is encroaching more and more in the daily lives of soldiers. EO complaints abound in the land of "perception is reality"...

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
The military has standard age limits that are different for each service but they can all waive the standard age limit if you have a skill or experience that they need.

Current Standard Age Limits

• Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
  • Air Force - 27
  • Navy - 34
  • Marines - 28
  • Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
Reserve Non-Prior Service

• Army Reserves - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday)
  • Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
  • Air Force Reserve - 34
  • Air National Guard - 40 (Changed from 34 in Aug 2009)
  • Naval Reserves - 39
  • Marine Corps Reserve - 29
Also ask about reconstructed age limits for prior service personnel. The military used to give you credit for up to 4 years of prior service so if the age limit is 35 you could be 41 and still join.

Waiver requirements change quite often and are controlled by each service, you need to ask up front if you qualify for a waiver. The last I heard the Army and Air National Guard will take certain medical personnel up to the age of 49.

·
Registered
361 Posts
After all the illegal wars were started the Nat'l Guard here told me I had till 55 to join.
Sure glad Im way past that mark. Im not into being a UN peacekeeper.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's been a long time since I cracked open the AR-600-200 but if prior service you could re-enlist if you served your 20 years before age 60.

Don't know current FY criteria letter specifics, but a recruiter would.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow, it's hard to believe that anyone would even THINK about enlisting at 40!! When I was in Basic the oldest guy in our Flight was 24 or 27 and everyone called him grandpa...I'd hate to think of what they would be calling you. Also, there are many adults that have a hard time having a superior that is younger than them, they would be at least half your age. Times may be hard, but they ain't THAT hard to consider military service at mid-life.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The only way I'd enlist at 43 is if they made me a Marine Warrant Officer Gunner or a 1st Sgt/Master Sgt.....I'm too old to play games under snot nosed young nco's/snco's or no nothing Lt's & Cpt's [ame]http://youtu.be/Mu51rszgotI[/ame]

·
Registered
110 Posts
We are also in the middle of another "draw down" to save money, that means being very choosy of who is allowed to join. Also choosy on who is allowed to stay in or forced out, to achieve the lower numbers of total force demanded by the money handlers in Washington.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Only people who pose a legitimate public-safety risk will have anything to worry about, said Steve Lindley, director of the California Department of Justice’s Bureau of Firearms.

“If you do become prohibited, we are going to come confiscate your firearms,” Lindley said. “But only people who have done something in their life – committed a felony, committed a violent misdemeanor, they are a fugitive from justice or they have been deemed mentally ill and a danger to themselves or others. We need to take action and prevent those people from possessing firearms.”

That prohibited class represents a small sliver of California’s population of gun owners, Lindley said. Otherwise, gun owners can rest easy: His department has no plans to “go out and confiscate people’s firearms for no reason.”

“We still have our Second Amendment rights here in California,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/16/6003230/california-gun-owners-warily-eye.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have the needed MOS, the ARMY in particular can give you a waiver on just about any reg ever created. I discovered that very early in my stint however, with the current drawdown it would be next to impossible to get one. Warrant officers have the greatest chance of getting back on active duty due to their skill level primarily as pilots. Of course the big question is why would you want to do that all over again. As they say the good times always outlive the bad times and that's what one remembers so, just give a little more thought about the bad times and you might think twice about trying to to reenlist!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts