M14 Forum banner

enhanced bolt stop/release

5382 Views 31 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Metonymy
I asked a tusted smith about an sei enhanced bolt release. He emailed me back saying the he did not like the sei bolt release because they were prone to breaking. He did not say how. Respecting his expert opinion I omited the product from the build. Have any of you who use the sei bolt stop/release had one break on you? If so, how? And is there any other product that can be used in place of it? I realy don't like the m14's bolt stop/release. I feel that it does need enhanced. It there any way to do that reliably?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
I am 1 for 2 so far. I purchased two and installed them on identical rifles. One went out for bedding and upon its return the bolt stop fail to hold the bolt back, I might add that this rifle was never fired. The other is still working. It has to do with the case hardness or lack thereof from what I hear through the pipe. It makes sense to me because the one that failed seemed to have years of wear on it when I removed it. Stick with a GI part that is serviceable and you cant go wrong. They are really not supposed to function as bolt releases anyway. I have not personally experienced this but several members report the bolt closing if laid down on the left side. I use a bi pod on those rifles so its not an issue for me.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
I've had one a while now and it has some 4000+ rounds on it, not even a hiccup, but then again it's old, from 2003 I think.

Sure you can release the bolt if you hit it hard enough... you can release the bolt if you bump the op rod back a little too. If you get it, be aware you have it and know it's there and work around it.

· Registered
2,442 Posts
I've seen several with "issues" & personally broke 1 test firing a rifle i just built.....

The early ones were machined & better quality but many were soft - The current ones are not soft but are cast & some are prone to failure

I wouldn't put em' on my rifles if they gave em' away

· Registered
306 Posts
I have one, and it's finiky with specific magazines. Now that I transfered my action to the JAE stock it doesn't like to catch the bolt manually anymore. I actually have to insert an empty mag and then it will catch. Thinking about changing it out to a standard GI. I really love the concept though.

· Registered
962 Posts
Mine has worked perfect for many years and thousands of rounds worth of mag changes. Be aware it's there and don't have your pinkie hanging in front of the bolt when you lay it on it's left side. Seriously. Don't do it.

Reactions: jmoore

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Mine works lovely and shows no wear. Watch it when you lay the rifle down though. Not so bad with as scope mount, but sucked without. It trip the bolt every time. I like it when I load a single round into the mag. I have something to hold keeping the bolt from tripping while I have my thumb in there. I'm happy with it.

· Registered
972 Posts
I have only one, it gives no trouble even after many years and rounds downrange, but have failed to find any real "added value" in operating the rifle.
Possibly those who have prior massive AR platform experience before moving to M14 types may find greater utility in the feature.

· Registered
185 Posts
I just ordered one of these last week, and I wish that I had read this post beforehand.

I wanted to try the part, solely out of curiosity, to see if it would make for a larger contact area when engaging the bolt stop...and it does this quite well. This part was also easy to install, aesthetically pleasing, and it appeared to be of quality manufacture.

However, after I began to operate it a few times, I was instantly disappointed.

The Smith Enterprise Extended Bolt Stop/Release prevented me from closing the bolt in the traditional manner; i.e., pulling the operating rod to the rear and releasing it. It will only close if the Extended Bolt Stop is pressed inward, allowing the bolt to close.

To close the bolt in the traditional manner, I now needed three hands; one to hold the rifle, a second to depress the extended bolt stop, and a third to simultaneously pull and release the op rod.

I wish that this fact had been explained in some type of disclaimer in the product description from Smith Enterprises.

For a left handed person, like myself, this was an unacceptable "side effect" of the extended bolt stop, and I immediately removed it and replaced it with the original SAI factory one.

As jmoore stated, this seems to be an enhancement better suited for right handed shooters wishing to mimic the AR platform's manual of arms.

Since the Extended Bolt Stop/Release just did not work for my needs, if any forum member here wants to try it, please let me know.

· Registered
962 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
That's odd. Mine works either way. Wonder if there's a figment issue going on with yours...
Not sure what you mean by "figment"...or did you mean "fitment"?

In either case, I am not imagining the fact that, the one I installed would not let the bolt close without depressing the Enhanced Bolt Stop at some point in the action.

When I pulled the op rod to the rear to close the bolt, the bolt would catch on the Extended Bolt Stop until I depressed it. I would have expected that pulling the op rod to the rear would automatically cause the Extended bolt catch to "reset", allowing the bolt to travel forward into battery...but for some reason, it would not.

With the factory bolt stop in place, this is not the case.

Anyway, no hard feelings towards those who it fills a need for. It just does not work for me, so I will not be using it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.