Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I would send one of my rifles off for custom engraving, but not the others

Votes: 1 2.4%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking with some one about custom engraving work for these rifles, primarily a few rear sight dust covers first, with logo's engraved on them. Also, I would like to know if anyone has done any actual engraving on their rifles, or a customers, and if so, what process did you use for surface prep. and actual engraving. The heat treating will advance several problems and require the use of all diamond tools for the engraving I would imagine. Depth and location of engraving also being a major concern.
Anyone that has had, prior experience in this field. please post your impressions. Others may post their ideas as well, all are welcome.

You see all kinds of firearms that have been engraved, like Heston's and Wayne's muskets and rifles, handguns, you name it, but I don't remember ever seeing an M14 or commercial variant that has been engraved or embellished in this manner, other than serial numbers or names. I assumed it was because of it being a battle rifle, and the last thing you need in battle is to stand out, or be noticed and singled out from a group as being in charge or in command. I know this was because they were U.S. Government property and no changes were permissable, other than as issued.

Given the fact that there are so many around now, in civilian hands, I thought surely someone has done this before, and given the fact that there are thousands of guys that spend millions of dollars on this platform, with embellishments of every kind, you would think I would have seen one by now. Anyone that has seen one, or has a picture of one, please post here.

Please vote on the poll here also. You may vote multiple times to cover the poll choices.

G

·
The only thing that I personally have done was etching, I did this for a Marine wounded in Iraq. Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the back of the heal. Ron has done some engraving only on the bolt stop side of the receiver.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that I personally have done was etching, I did this for a Marine wounded in Iraq. Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the back of the heal. Ron has done some engraving only on the bolt stop side of the receiver.
That is great of you guys to do for him SEI....

yeah H2O Man, your rifle is one of the reasons I started thinking about this, I saw it a long time ago and liked it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SEI engraved the TRW bolt in my MK14 Mod 0 and the SAGE EBR
stock it's in, but I don't think they offer this service anymore.

How much did that cost to do it like that? I was lucky to see these when I was in Afghanistan. The Navy EOD shot them when we BZO'd our rifles. They said I could shoot one after they were done but that didnt happen. Love to have one especially if its marked like this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would like to have some stuff done to a few of my rifles, I like the idea of customizing them. I see each as having its own personality (I MAY have a problem...) and would like to display that. I would also like some of the current inscribing filled with Gold Leaf paint or something. I would LOVE the way that looks on the side of my 1919A4(A7)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ripsaw did you get your bolt engraved? I have been wanting to do this on my pre86 conversion Springfield M14. The MK14 MOD 0 and anchor would be the finishing touch on it. Mine also sits in a NS gray EBR stock! Any help on where to send my bolt would be appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.