M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from Australia. I was there for a month and a half.
I slept in a tent every night.

We used the Engel Fridge/Freezer units to keep our food. They work with 12 volts or 110/240 volts. I have used them before in Africa. In Australia we had 8 of them in our camp in remote Arnemland using one small Honda Generator.

They work great. They can be used as a Fridge or a Freezer.

They can also be set up to use solar...

The Engles seem to be the best and most rugged of the fridge/freezer units on the market.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HH, yes they are pretty spendy, but they are the best of all the brands.

The guy I was with in Australia has had some of them for over 12 years.

He uses them 5 or so months out of the year, they set unused for the rest of the year.

They have only one moving part in their compressor.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I've got a 12v cooler but usually find it takes up too much room on car based trips (by buying cold items like milk and beer at the end of the day, it can be left at home here). Also, mine has burned out quite a few 12v multiplugs, mostly due to careless passenger seat operation. Anyway, a 12v unit that can work as a freezer must be an awesome item indeed.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have just returned from Australia. I was there for a month and a half.
I slept in a tent every night.

We used the Engel Fridge/Freezer units to keep our food. They work with 12 volts or 110/240 volts. I have used them before in Africa. In Australia we had 8 of them in our camp in remote Arnemland using one small Honda Generator.

They work great. They can be used as a Fridge or a Freezer.

They can also be set up to use solar...

The Engles seem to be the best and most rugged of the fridge/freezer units on the market.
Agree they are great. My hunting buddy in Australia had one and served us well on many hunting trips.

How did you enjoy Northern Territory? I lived in Bunbury, Western Australia and one trip in his 4 wheel took us north to Darwin and then East to Gove, camping where ever every night for about a week then back towards Ramangining to hunt buffalo. Lived there from 1980-1985 and 1991-1999.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really enjoyed Australia. I spent 10 days or so camped in Humptydoo near Darwin, while we worked on a Land Rover to use on our trip. I went into many stores, taverns and pubs in and around Darwin.

Everybody was very friendly.

We then went deep into Arnehm Land for a month.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have one and they are the best. Expensive, but quality. They are actually made in Thailand, but I've never seen them on the market there. I paid $1600 got the MT80. You can buy a snap on extension to make it double the capacity, or make the base a freezer and the add on a fridge.

The have a super reliable compressor that is made in Japan that is EXTREMELY efficient too. Most of the 12 volt unit are solid state and use that LOT of current. Not so the Engels. It uses little power.

I use it rarely and I purchased it for SHTF. I plan on buying at least 2 more when I can afford it. Used solar panel to charge a battery to run it. LOVE IT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.