M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Enfield No4 sniper that I’m trying to verify its authenticity. Can anyone tell if it’s legit? I know Century Arms sold a lot of reproductions, but I don’t know how those ones were marked.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am no expert and my advice is pretty lame. As a rank amateur, I would look very carefully at the cheek piece to see if its wear and pattern of wear (dings, etc.) matched the rest of the stock. I doubt Century would have tried to match the wear, and I doubt there are many complete stocks laying around, but I could be wrong.

Upon closer observation: From the photo it looks like the butt stock may be in better shape than the forestock? Maybe there were spare sniper butt stocks laying around?

CX

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Send MJ a PM.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i would suggest that you do more research, as im no expert. i did however take a look through my book on them, and it would appear that your rifle is a well put together fake. there should be a T either stamped or electropenciled behind the model # on the side of the reciever.

·
Registered
684 Posts
;)

The T behind the MkI* is not always there on '43 and older rifles. It was oft added during FTR but not always. I would like to see photos of the scope bracket and rear pad.

This '41 had the T added at FTR or as I believe at a field shop during an inspection post '43

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reaper6

A Lee Enfield pedigree can be about as convoluted as you can imagine.

You might want to check at the Military Surplus Collector's forum at:

http://www.milsurps.com/index.php

Several Brits, Aussies and Canadians are members. A couple of them are former British armorers, one of them wrote a book on the Enfield I believe.

Anyway, there are some folks over there who live and breathe Enfields.

Regards

Jim

Reactions: stevegun 1

·
Registered
684 Posts
;) Never say never

when looking at Enfields never say never. I have delt with most of the Enfield guys at one time or another and been shooting with them at Bisley and even Peter Laidler who wrote the book on #4T's will tell you that. Again show me a picture of the top of the stock at the wrist and the right side of the receiver.

Cheers
...MJ...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts