M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this photo while doing some Google searches on a related set of topics. Here's the caption:

American Infantrymen pause to rest en route to front lines, beyond Malmedy, Belgium on December 29, 1944. Left to right, Sgt. Lyle Greene, Rochester, Minnesota, S/Sgt. Joseph DeMott, Greenwood, Ind., and Pfc. Fred Mozzoni, Chicago, Illinois.

Photo courtesy of http://www.historybyzim.com

Without these heroes, and those whom have come and gone before and after, it's hard to say we'd be as a nation.

Thank you to those who've served.

---Brian

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Jersey.... Heres the Price Tag for Freedom:
KIA
American Civil War  

World War II  

World War I

Vietnam

Korean War

American Revolutionary War

War of 1812

Mexican American War

Iraq/Afghanistran Wars* present

Philippine–American War

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
There is a thread on another site asking which wars the USA lost.

I stayed out of it, because I see no clear winners with casualties like these.

Even in WW2, the last great holy war, our casualties could have been much less if more common sense and thinking was used.

ie...

a) our parachute shroud lines took 4 steps or something like that to get them off. The Brits just hit one center button. A lot of our guys drowned because of that.

b) Hirtgen Forest. It was a natural impediment to invasion and a perfect defensible place, yet we just had to go charging head first in there.

c) Wooden decks on our carriers that bombs and kamikazes can crash through.

d) Sherman tank...where do I start?

e) Torpedos just thumping on the side of enemy ships.

still...dispite all our blunders, we still came out on top because most of the things we did, we did them the right way. I guess the winners in war are the ones that have the lesser number of blunders.

I personally think our best strength was comms and mobile artillery in the 105.

Three platoons of riflemen and one weapons platoon of heavy machine guns and mortars. With bigger stuff a phone call away.

Do we still have that concept now? Do any of you gravel agitators know?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think...

the Victory was founded in two things...
1.The American Warrior .
2. American war-time production ability. They had some better stuff...we had a whole lot more of it !. Raw materiel's and a work force that could and did. We beat the Germans with Logistics and the Japanese with the same...and some VERY big cajones.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
No Sir Logistics has never won a war...the Individual SOLDIER wins the war, the grit to fight even when things are not going well for you. All the Supplies in the world won't help if your Soldier has no Fight...ie...Italy WW2, to name 1 of many.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The women that worked industry behind the scenes as well... Supporting their sons, husbands, and brothers one rivet at a time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks, 'devil! Much of interest in that photo! And, boy! Wasn't it sharp?!?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
What's bothered me lately is the removal of the monuments to Confederate soldiers and their commanders. A while back, I listened to some guy rant about how they should all be removed. I told him most if not all the Army bases in the south were named after Confederate generals, and that even though they were Confederate, they were still Americans. I told him you can't hide our history. It happened. He just looked at me odd and could not come up with any kind of reply. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
I for one Remind everyone I encounter about the KIA for freedom True Canadian and of the Sacrifices given by all out Allies both WW1 and WW2....Flanders Field Poem was written by a MD Lt in the British Army.... the losses for British, Canadiens , French was almost inconceivable ...hundreds of thousands KIA in 3 month of fighting.... Awful Price, Paid in Full by the Blood of Brave Men. Canada's Military can stand tall as they fought well.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
I don't have time at the moment but, the soldier at the front fights better on a full stomach, shoots better with bullets etc. you get the idea.

While it gives us warm fuzzies to think that our boys are so much better than their counter part, the underlying truth is the better trained, better equipped, better supplied and better led are the ones who win wars.

Logistics makes most of that happen!

To believe anything else stems out of ignorance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.