1st Let me Say I love this Corner of the Forum
Any Thoughts of Emergency Long Term Heating Ideas
I do not have a Fire Place or a wood burning stove they are not in the Picture
Thoughts Ideas Suggestions are all Welcome
"Paranoia is just Smart Thinking when the Whole World is out to Get You"

·
Registered
127 Posts
Chuck, you better go nuclear, nothing like the warmth of decaying uranium, right? You ruled out the easiest, least expensive options. Where do you live? Going passive solar is the best but that has to be designed into your house from the start. Having a southern facing wall with a lot of glass with outside eves at the right height for full winter sun exposure and minimal summer exposure is the best. Most houses are not designed with the sun in mind. You also need thermal mass to absorb the sun's heat in the day to release it in the night. But I am shooting in the dark, so don't shoot me. We need more details for more specific solutions.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Being you have chosen not to go with the cheapest way, here's an expensive way. THERMAL heating. Wells are drilled & the temperature of the water table is used for heating. System can be used in reverse for cooling in the summer.

HH

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry about the Lack of Information.
I have we figure 6 years left at this address. When my Daughter graduates High School I am moving across the River to a Few Acres I Own . That being Said Geo Thermal is out of the Question. 2 years Back I had a Quote of 24k for my Zoned House. As far as Better insulation, It is as Good as it is going to get. I am not Putting another Dime into my House

A couple of years back we lost Power for a little over 2 weeks. I can live without the Electricity. It is heat that I do not wish to be without again
So I was Hoping for some Propane type heater suggestions

Now when I start to build my House , And I and my Friends will be Building it. I am going to be Off the Grid as much as Possible.
Wood Burning Stove as firewood will be right at my door
Solar Panels out the Tuckus
Geo Thermal Heating/Cooling
Back Up Generator (Maybe)
Wall will be Exceedingly well insulated Expanding Foam
But as far as the General Structure I haven't decided
But the Best The Absolute Best Lower Taxes and I can Have NFA items and I will
In a bout 3 1/2 years that ill be a Post in Progress

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I have a Heater Buddy I got at Cabellas. It's the large size. And the optional conversion hose that lets me use a regular propane bottle instead of the little 1 lb cans. It has a knock-over safety switch and oxygen sensor.

I got it for camping but used it one year when I was stuck living in an apartment with electric heat and poor insulation. iirc, a 20 lb bottle would last about a week, depending on what setting I used. It probably saved me hundreds in electric bills even after paying for refills. It kept the main room comfy but the bedrooms were a little chilly. Use some kind of fan to keep all the heat off the ceiling.

Option Two: Move to Texas and start wondering how to stay cool.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I've seen some pretty high output propane "panel" heaters. A friend used on to heat his shop and it seemed to do very well, though I'm not sure how hard it hit the propane tank. The beauty of propane is you can buy or rent whatever size tank works out best, the installation is very easy to do, does not have to be permanent and you won't end up putting a lot of $ into a place you're moving out of soon.

I'll try to find you a link to the type I'm referring to; there are similar looking versions that are NOT the same thing. More to come.....

For a very interim use, a kerosene heater can get you by, though its not one of my favorites due to fuel smell, vapors, fire hazard, etc.. I got through a VERY cold winter years ago ( just barely; the water in the toilet bowls would freeze solid over night) with a 22K BTU unit. I definitely would NOT want to do that again.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
757 Posts
lol, as long as you're at it, maybe even get a gas fired kiln... that will keep you warm.
and depending on the type of soil you have by the river you might get some good clay.
with a kick wheel and a little practice you'll have some nice pottery/ceramics too...

use the kick wheel to keep warm too.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Here's an option I learned from buckskinning. Campfire outside. Take red hot coals & put inside a cast iron dutch oven & bring inside. Good heat for hours.

An eco friendly option is if you can find some granite rock or similar. Make a rack for an adjustable fesnel lense & heat the rocks from the sun during the day. Then bring the rocks inside at sundown.

HH

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've been working on many AE projects for the last few years but Gasifiers and
Babbington WO Burners are looking better all the time. You can also make
steam and or wood gas for fuel with the Gasifier. Gasifiers are a tad more
dangerous but can run on multiple fuel stocks like wood pallets, tree trimmings.
There are as many configurations as there are people building them. The Babbington Oi Burner is probably the simplest oil burner ever invented, they will burn just about anything with an oil base, even bio diesel. Unlike wood stoves and outdoor wood fired boilers
there is no smoke.

There are tons of ideas like the one below on utube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KkqxlXdjJQ&feature=related[/ame]

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I use one like this to heat my basement (and supplement the heat in the rest of the house) when I lived in Missouri. it's "vent free", yeah I didn't like the idea too much either, but comes in a vented model too.. However as I finished the basement I was able to move it around to different spots pretty easy. They are like 33,000 BTU and come in Propane or Natural Gas versions. They are not "convertible" between LP and NG so you'd have to choose up front which one you want. We also took it with us when we move back to Louisiana... hasn't been cold enough to turn it on yet though GI6

The vent free is easy to install and 100% efficient but has some drawn backs too like the moisture it adds in the house. The wife actually like that feature

http://www.vermontcastings.com/family/Stoves/Vent-Free/Radiance/

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Here's an option I learned from buckskinning. Campfire outside. Take red hot coals & put inside a cast iron dutch oven & bring inside. Good heat for hours.
HH
Along the same line.... If you're camping or otherwise have a dirt floor, you can dig a shallow hole, fill it with fresh coals, and cover it with an upside down bucket or pot. Plenty of heat till morning. Make sure the bucket is sealed into the dirt to prevent any smoke.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
sorry about the Lack of Information.
I have we figure 6 years left at this address. When my Daughter graduates High School I am moving across the River to a Few Acres I Own . That being Said Geo Thermal is out of the Question. 2 years Back I had a Quote of 24k for my Zoned House. As far as Better insulation, It is as Good as it is going to get. I am not Putting another Dime into my House

A couple of years back we lost Power for a little over 2 weeks. I can live without the Electricity. It is heat that I do not wish to be without again
So I was Hoping for some Propane type heater suggestions

Now when I start to build my House , And I and my Friends will be Building it. I am going to be Off the Grid as much as Possible.
Wood Burning Stove as firewood will be right at my door
Solar Panels out the Tuckus
Geo Thermal Heating/Cooling
Back Up Generator (Maybe)
Wall will be Exceedingly well insulated Expanding Foam
But as far as the General Structure I haven't decided
But the Best The Absolute Best Lower Taxes and I can Have NFA items and I will
In a bout 3 1/2 years that ill be a Post in Progress
For short time I would probably look into a stand alone propane fireplace or heater or a fuel oil heater. From my experience propane is the way to go, it is much cleaner and more reliable than fuel oil.

For a long term solution you are going to have to burn something for heat, so you hare going to have to have a chimney and a stove. In most parts of the country that is going to mean a wood stove.

Now when you go to build your house you can look at setting it up so that you can take advantage of passive solar heating. Depending upon how involved you want to get with off the grid and energy efficiency you can also take a look at active solar heating as well.

Have you looked into ICF (insulated concrete form) construction? I have been researching home construction methods lately and I am pretty sure that when I build a home in the future that is the method that I am going to use. It looks like the best way to make a structure set up for survival without looking like a kook. They are highly energy efficient, durable, storm resistant, pretty much bullet resistant, and just about any home plan can be converted to use ICF.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've used these before. A little stinky, and you need to be careful to keep fresh air coming in to your space, but they do put out some heat and are very efficient. As Geeck notes, moisture is a concern, as the by products of combustion are CO and water vapor.

Another tip is to reduce the volume of the space you are heating in an emergency. If you can, move everyone into a central room of the house and keep the interior doors closed. If you have framed openings without doors, hang blankets in the doorways to keep the warm air in the common room.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kerosene.. The big heaters they sell at Lowes will heat a whole house and burn about 2 gallons a day going nonstop at the low setting.
Back in the mid 80's I was setting up a modular (1900 sq. ft.)by myself, with the help of a friend on weekends, and used a single kerosene heater. It was one of our coldest winters with several weeks in the teens and often single digits. I had the heater with it's back to a sliding door and eventually the door had a three inch layer of ice on the inside. But the heater kept the house above freezing while we worked that winter. For a short term issue, it would be an option.. Ron

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.