M14 Forum banner

Elmer

1900 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Capona
Is Elmer still around? I bought an M1A Match from him at Devine in '71 or '72 and I note the other day that the receipt he gave me has the rifle as a "standard." I would like to get that straightened out.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
I'll share the first paragraph from a post I made in 2019:

In the past Elmer has said that he has no records regarding specific rifles or serial numbers from that time. If I recall correctly, he said that he had turned in his FFL records. I have seen people report that they talked to Elmer and he remembered their rifle, etc. I'm not saying I disagree, but it seems unlikely that anyone could remember a specific rifle from over 45 years ago unless it was truly one of a kind.

Cass

· Registered
108 Posts
Is Elmer still around? I bought an M1A Match from him at Devine in '71 or '72 and I note the other day that the receipt he gave me has the rifle as a "standard." I would like to get that straightened out.
I have spoken to Elmer Ballance on numerous occasions and he advised me that all his early complete rifles had SA USGI or SAK 7791362 (62 to 67) barrels in all the standard models. You could get the basic with fiberglass he for $200 and walnut stocks based on condition up from $215 to $250. I have one of each of these 3 standard models as offered as they came from his in shop1972. Not a part has been changed. Elmer does not refer to these as NM rifles UNLESS they were ordered and received his accurizing package which pushed the price over $300. Elmer used USGI highly qualified armorers to add real NM sights front and rear, glass bedding, unitized gas system, oversized recoil spring guide, reamed NM muzzle break and trigger jobs. Usually the armorer marked the barrel channel and sometimes other parts with his unique signature.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am curious what do you expect him to do nearly 50 years later?
Elmer called me the other day and asked me some questions about the rifle. Said he got my pictures and the gent
who bought the Devine from me was going to visit him this week. I told him to give the paper work to my buyer.
Just to catch you up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.