M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried several electronic sights, and my biggest complaint is my inability to shoot my best with them. Yes, for police or military use, they are faster - that I will admit. But for shooting the smallest group possible -is there anything that will beat a conventional scope? I am not trying to put any product down by any means. If there is something I am missing, or if I simply have not tried the right sight, someone please let me know. My eyesight is not getting any better, and I like new technology and toys as much as anyone, I am just trying to find the best combination for me. I hope this rambling post makes sense to some of you older guys. Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can't say for sure that there is anything that beats a conventional scope, but have you tried a magnified Aimpoint? A traditional scope brings alot of advantages that have been refined for over 100 years. However in Low light (without NVG's or light amplifiying devices) it is tough to see your reticle WRT your target. I have found that my Aimpoint with the red dot dialed in to the appropriate light level is far superior to iron sights and also to many traditional scopes that don't have either a large enough aperture for gathering light, (to contrast the black on near black) or a lighted retricle feature.

What "electronic" scopes are missing is high power magnification. Some are available with 2X magnification which is great, but not ideal. Also these are pricey.

I do love my Aimpoint out there on my SCOUT rail though. I shoot tighter grouping with it than I every have with iron sights... I don't know how I would fair under USMC rules, but with an M-16 I have shot Navy Expert mutiple times so I like to think I know how to use iron sights. That said however, in my last thread in this same forume I asked what combo of traditional scope and rings one could put on an ARMS #18 that would fit without bumping into my SCOUT rail. I have found that my aimpoint where the dot is 4MOA isn't the best for taking that critical shot on an animal that has a vital area with a 5 inch diameter. Know what I mean?

Perhaps as the red dot sights progress we will see less differences in capability and more similarites. I sure hate spending so much money for mutilple rigs ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
scopes

Mr. ureasy, I'm 50 and wear bifocals so I can relate to your dilemna. I do not like the aimpoint for two reasons, first, I find the exit pupil to small for really quick target aquisition and second, it fails regularly at sub-zero temps. The best scope I've run into lately and which will probably be my next high$$$ purchase, is the nightforce 5.5-15x56mm with your choice of a red or green lit reticle. I say this from looking at lots of scopes over the last year.LOTS!! [email protected]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Biathlon, that the Aimpoint fails in Sub Zero temps is new to me as I haven't been in that kind of weather in years. I do not doubt your claim one iota. What is/are the symptom(s) of the failure?

Does the battery simply fail to provide power to the LED? Just curious. I still love my Aimpoint, (and I don't fully understand the comment about the exit pupil as I like to shoot it with both eyes open - as mine is not magnified) but it is good info to know what its limitations are.

I think the non-magnified red dots fill their niche very well. I also like the Eotechs for the same reason. There are times when its too dark for iron sights and re-aquiring a target is a "time sensitive" issue.

I wonder if it is in fact a battery issue at those temps and how a lighted reticle scope would not suffer the same issue. :?: Perhaps the wrist watch style battery on it is superior to those on the Aimpoint... This sort of thing s actually piques my interest....

I am thinking about a lighted reticle scope for a future purchase. I really think Ill-ret scopes are the bees knees especially when hunting at dawn. Thanks for the info on your nightforce I can't speak for MrUREasy, but I am certainly going to check out NF's line. Always good to hear a product endosred by another M1A owner.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've decided to try one of these new Mueller scopes
4-16 x 50 with a 1/8 MOA lit center dot on a #4 reticule
They're supposed to compare favorably with Leupolds (For whatever that means and whatever thats worth)
But its an idea I like and want to try out

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just checked the Mueller Opitcs website.... I think I am in love.... Of course it is easy to say that when one is flat broke, but the MSRP is pretty nice for the features!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.