M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ek has gone thru several owners the past few decades, so quality may vary.
The current EK produces a solid knife that has gotten a lot of attention for its' design, attention to details and reliability.

But they are pricey, and you can save $$$$ if you want to with any number of alternatives.

If you want an EK, the current maker offers lots of styles and they are a great looking product.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
If you dig back thru the archives I asked nearly the same questions a few years ago...

My own research indicates a period of time when they were owned by Blackjack Knives, just before Blackjack went out of business, that they sold Blackjack knives with Ek markings to try to get them to sell. Other than that it seems the real Eks have been high quality all along. I understand that the current Ek CO was bought by the employees when Blackjack went under. Employee owned is good, that means every person touching that knife has a stake in the quality. GI1

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Send MarineFirstSarge a PM. He is a font of info on Ek and has provided me with several.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I bought a couple of EK knife's when Blackjack owned them at the SOF show when they held it here in Vegas, they seem like very good quality, I wish I had bought a couple more of them.

Casey

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Back in the 90's Ek made a trifoil bladed knife that was a copy of a knife that they made for the SOE/OSS in WWII. That was the story anyway. I handled one at the Excalibur store at a local mall several times but never popped for one. Now I regret that decision because I'm now interested in WWII and the OSS.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm considering one of these knives, but I'm a little confused.
Apparently the company was sold (through the years) and manufacturing occurred in different places.
Are all the Ek's of the same quality?
Or are the later ones equal to the earlier ones?
I like the Ek Bowie.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.ekknife.com/knives.html

The blade design on that EK Bowie looks a lot like the blade design on a Randall No1, and the Randall No5 [the difference on the No5 is that it is a hunting knife and the top edge is not sharpened].
I can say that that blade design is my favorite as it works well as a "fighter" and a Utility knife and a game butchering knife.

You can stabe, slash, gut, skin, butcher, and make a peanut butter sandwich, easily with that blade design.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
Here a pic of the pair I have, I got them in the mid 90's when they used to hold the "Soldier of Fortune" show here in Vegas, this was when Blackjack was involved with them. They were selling them dirt cheap, I think I paid $45.00 each for them.

Casey

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Here is one of my Ek M5s. It came with the paracord wrapped handle and I replaced that with Tan canvas Micarta. This is the knife that lives in my drag bag.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ek Bowie

This knife has been on my list for a while.
Collecting is enough reason ( to have one), and I do wish I had one when I was active duty...long ago.
I'll keep it to admire, but eventually after the newness wears off it will go to Elk camp with me.

It's a great design, however I don't consider it a stilleto just a Bowie.
And I agree with you such knives are meant to be used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.