M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I had a nice day at the range last Sunday , shooting with one of my M1 Garand 308 , New barrel 1:10 ,
I noticed that ejector mark on case for all in the same spot , I can see the rifle spit the brass really high and far ( sounds like high pressure , but it doesn't show anything on the primer not on reloaded ammo not on factory )

I tested
federal 7.62 bulk ammo 147gr
norinco surplus 7.62 147gr
pmc 7.62 147gr
reload RL-15 168smk 41.7 gr lapua brass cci ( doesn't spit the case far away )
reload 4064 43gr 147 gr fmj lapua brass federal 210 ( doesn't spit the case far away )

all the same result all the cases have ejector mark .

any solution ?

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
Simple solution, if your ammo isn't too hot to start with, is a cure all chamber cleaning with solvent and a good USGI chamber brush. This is the first fix I look at when there is any sort of problem with function of M1s, M14s or carbines. Next would be to check for weak op rod springs and lubrication.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great I’m trying to figure out how to post and accidentally hit post Wrong.
Anyway I have a 308 Special and it was a learn thing. Yes the shoulders get banged up because of it flying up and out Of the action. I forget, but it is the new ejector or new extractor it’s has new spring. It was geared for 30-06 Cases to extract. But the more I use it the better it is getting on not tearing the shoulders up.
But the mouth of the cases are still getting banged up.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Great I’m trying to figure out how to post and accidentally hit post Wrong.
Anyway I have a 308 Special and it was a learn thing. Yes the shoulders get banged up because of it flying up and out Of the action. I forget, but it is the new ejector or new extractor it’s has new spring. It was geared for 30-06 Cases to extract. But the more I use it the better it is getting on not tearing the shoulders up.
But the mouth of the cases are still getting banged up.
Sort of the nature of the beast. This is an M1A, but basically the same ejection:
. You can see the brass kisses on the op rod from where the case spins on ejection. You could try shortening your ejection spring a little, but dented case necks don't bother me too much; they usually iron out on resizing.

Reactions: stoky

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
On my 308W M1 the rims do get bitten by the extractor and have a slight burr. For resizing they usually slide into the shell holder OK, but occasionally need to be pushed and rotated. I don't recall any that had the rim actually bent. It's typical for the neck opening to be dented, and sometimes the shoulder. I round-out the neck with the tapered shaft of the center punch, and don't worry about minor shoulder dents.
There can be round ejector marks on the base, I don't worry about them - only if the primer shows excessive pressure signs.

Jay

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I'd still like to see a picture. Is it an actual "ejector " mark, or a general "ejection " mark?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I do not think that it is high pressure, it's more likely that the Ejector spring was not shorten to accommodate the shorter case.

Take the ejector spring out and cut 1 to 2 coils off and try again. I would cut 2 coils base on your description.
I had the same problem when I converted my Garand to a 308. I cut two coils off and cured the problem.

·
Registered
765 Posts
BTW Where can you go back and edit a post?
Go to the post you want to edit and click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner and the pop down menu should include an edit button so you can edit that post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts