77 Posts
The rifle:
M1A Loaded model
Round count around 300.
FA birch laminated stock.
Sadlak NM recoil guide.
Sadlak steel scope mount.
Action bedded with Acraglas.
Gas cylinder is hand tight (no shims needed).
Handguard siliconed in.
Trigger tuned to 4.75 pounds.
Recoil main spring measured at 14.15/16"

I have had six ejection failures in 85 rounds. Four from my reloads and two from German DAG. This problem did not occur until I put the Sadlak mount on the rifle. It appears that the brass is hitting the upper internal part of the mount and bouncing off of it and then lodging against the Op. Rod and the mount. The ejector and extractor are the stock ones. I'm sure they are not USGI. I'm not sure if the ejector or extractor is an issue however.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

On a better note, the rifle seems to shoot pretty accurately.

Thank, Paul

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/prsalazar/californiaa.jpg

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That's the same jam-up shooters reported for the Brookfield mount on the M1A. The commonly-recommended fix was to replace the SAI ejector and spring with a USGI ejector and spring.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the same mount on my Armscorp NM my bolt is TRW I have not had this happen, I have had no malfunctions. Sounds like the other guy is on to something.

Nice groups

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Start with changing the ejector and spring to USGI. If that doesn't work start trimming coils from the ejector spring one coil at a time till it clears. Have a spare spring in case you go to far...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start with changing the ejector and spring to USGI. If that doesn't work start trimming coils from the ejector spring one coil at a time till it clears. Have a spare spring in case you go to far...
I'll order a new USGI ejector and spring in the next day or two.

I'm headed off to the range on Wednesday again. Would you advise simply cutting a coil of the ejector spring on the one that I have? If I screw it up I can just wait for the new one to come in.

It appears what you might be saying is that the ejector tension is too much and cutting a coil or more off would then help, correct?

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I'll order a new USGI ejector and spring in the next day or two.

I'm headed off to the range on Wednesday again. Would you advise simply cutting a coil of the ejector spring on the one that I have? If I screw it up I can just wait for the new one to come in.

It appears what you might be saying is that the ejector tension is too much and cutting a coil or more off would then help, correct?

Thanks, Paul
Correct.

Too much ejector spring pressure causes the ejector to force the cases up and forward. Less ejector spring pressure allows the extractor to fling the cases to the side and out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the ejector, ejector spring, extractor, and extractor plunger and spring with USGI parts. I went to the range and fired 30 rounds of reloads and surplus through the rifle. The rifle ran perfect. It appears that the problem is solved.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
362 Posts
Stock

Paul,
I'm glad you got your ejection problem fixed.
This is off topic but I think you have a beautiful stock on your rifle. If you don't mind my asking, is it a FA medium or Heavy NM stock? Thanks.
Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul,
I'm glad you got your ejection problem fixed.
This is off topic but I think you have a beautiful stock on your rifle. If you don't mind my asking, is it a FA medium or Heavy NM stock? Thanks.
Tom
From FA's website:
"Stock, Brown Laminated Birch, No Metal, No Selector Cut, Medium Weight
Part Number: FA-M-105
Price: $139.95"

The stock came in the "white", no finish. I used about six coats or so of Minwax Tung oil on it and then used 0000 steel wool to take the high sheen down to a matt finish.

The stock was inletted perfectly. I highly recommend this stock.

Thanks, Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts