M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the opportunity to put a few hundred rounds through my new Scout Squad and have noticed that stock underneath where the shell casings eject is taking a good beating. The wood is getting chewed up and I am wondering if that is normal?

The rifle shoots fine, and I haven't had any issues with FTE any casings. I've shot a varity of ammo, from PMC to SA milsurp to AE. Any thoughts on this? Under gassing, ammo or am I just crazy? Any thoughs or input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
You will get a bunch of answers but i can tell you I have dents on my stock and brass marks on the receiver. Funny thing my ejected cases all land in about the same place.

Reactions: toiletfighter

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,439 Posts
ave noticed that stock underneath where the shell casings eject is taking a good beating. The wood is getting chewed up and I am wondering if that is normal?
It is normal.You can put some thick tape there when shooting then remove it, or get a second beautiful stock, one for shooting and one for show if it bugs you. It's not strange to ask about this, it bothers me too to chew up a nice stock, so I have a SAI synthetic to shoot with, and an old commercial wood stock too, and a nice wood to show it off when she's clean and just hanging around the house. It doesn't bother everyone though, and some guys think we're weird to worry about it, but it's your rifle, you decide.
m14brian

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is normal.You can put some thick tape there when shooting then remove it, or get a second beautiful stock, one for shooting and one for show if it bugs you. It's not strange to ask about this, it bothers me too to chew up a nice stock, so I have a SAI synthetic to shoot with, and an old commercial wood stock too, and a nice wood to show it off when she's clean and just hanging around the house. It doesn't bother everyone though, and some guys think we're weird to worry about it, but it's your rifle, you decide.
m14brian
It doesn't really bother me, but was more or less curious if this was a normal occurance. I did pick up a synthetic stock recently to use as a beater to save the wood.

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't think it should be "chewing up" your stock, I've had 3 m14's and although one gives me brass marks on my oprod and scope bottom none of them mark up or damage stock.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Take a small section of Velcro-fuzzy side- place where the cases are impacting and not only protects the stock but seems to cushion the flight of the case as well. Can always take it off if does not work for you. I do the same thing on the case deflector of AR15's and prevents the brass markings there as well. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could experiment with shortening the ejector spring and see how that changes the angle the ejected cases take. The springs are inexpensive so get a couple.
I was thinking about trying this, just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the same problem, wrote to Springfield and was told to try an adjustable gas plug (Brownells/Midway). But I would try the ejector springs first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts