M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or I need to be spending more quality time with my girlfriend. This thing isn't a reverse thread, is it? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Looks like you got another famous SAI gorrilla install on that plug! No it is not a reverse thread, it is either overtightened or seized. Try useing a box end wrench and some penetrating oil.
Soak it in a good penetrating oil over nite and then try to loosen it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had one really stuck one time.......some Gunk Liquid Wrench loosened it up after letting it sit overnight........and no, its not reversed thread.

·
Registered
330 Posts
"PB blaster" in a spray can works wonders (let it soak overnight).

Anti-seize or a dab of grease when you re-install, as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had the same problem. I ended up sending my rifle back to Springfield for more serious problems anyways so I had them address the stuck gas plug. I'm able to loosen it now. If I would have had to loosen it on my own I would have tried the PB blaster overnight and a good box end wrench. If that doesn't do the trick have Springfield deal with it on their dime and while its there have them look everything else over on the rifle for good measure.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Try freezing spray from an electronics shop. It had helped me to get the oprod guide off the barrel.
Wolf

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If using the 'figure 8' tool isn't enough to hold the rifle, then carefully use a strong bench vise this way -
1) pad the jaws with wood, brass, or aluminum.
2) stand the rifle upright on a box to get it the correct height to reach the jaws - DON'T 'hang' the rifle from the vise.
The jaws should be on the very front of the gas cylinder.
3) tighten the jaws just enough to hold the rifle in position.
4) use a wrench on the gas plug.

And, YES use penetrating oil the day before!

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts

This worked fine for me too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys. Probably Sunday I'll take another crack at it. I'm going ATV riding this weekend, and this being southern Arizona, both my Scout and my GI-Spec .45 ride with me.

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Thanks from me, too. My recent SA guns were obviously tightened up with the impact wrench they use to put semi trailers' wheels on...

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I first got mine it took a bench clamp with some rags and a 3 foot breaker bar.

·
Registered
623 Posts

P.B. Blaster is the bombdance2
Had a friend with rusted lug nuts on a boat trailer He fought with it for 3 days and used 4 other types.I gave him an almost empty can from the shop, had 'em off in under 10 minutes.That stuff will run UP a piece of allthread sitting in a small cup of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it. You guys rock. A vise, Liquid Wrench, and a 3/8 socket did the trick.

Now, if I can just get the damn op rod free from the receiver...

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
SAinc. had some problems in the past with gas plugs that were not hardened correctly and they would seize up every time you tried to take them out or the threads stripped very easy. I always suggest folks buy a G.I. gas plug from Bill Ricca or Orion 7 or someone who knows what is and is not a G.I. gas plug. Then you never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SAinc. had some problems in the past with gas plugs that were not hardened correctly and they would seize up every time you tried to take them out or the threads stripped very easy. I always suggest folks buy a G.I. gas plug from Bill Ricca or Orion 7 or someone who knows what is and is not a G.I. gas plug. Then you never have to worry about it again.
Are the SEI plugs okay? It seems like they make quality stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts