M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing surprising or new to me. My Inglis Hi Power has sights for out to 500m. Not enough barrel accuracy with that short of a barrel though. But could be effective at half that range.

Note they didn't even get into SJSP, SJHP, or +P ammo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had no idea. Makes me feel a little better about my recent 9mm AR build. Might be good for more than just a range toy.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Soldiers in WWII carried 9mm submachine guns; MP40 and Sten come to mind. If it worked then it will now against any non armored target.

Not my first choice, but it would work if needed.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
The 9MM Luger Round is known for it's Penetration but how does it work on Flesh? I've seen Wood Chucks walk away with hits at 100 yards. I am sure they died but the Army calls it a 50 Meter round!

Reactions: Matt C.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't believe that is because of the round but instead the pistol its used in. JMO

20 years ago I stepped up to two HP MKIIIs just to have the option of +P ammo.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The 9MM Luger Round is known for it's Penetration but how does it work on Flesh? I've seen Wood Chucks walk away with hits at 100 yards. I am sure they died but the Army calls it a 50 Meter round!
Same with most fast moving ball ammo in all calibers. The round leaves almost no energy in those little critters, just zips right through them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wish they'd used 115 instead of 124 gr. because that's what we shoot in older 9s. Also, I hope they do a video on the .45 ACP. The Guidebook rates its effectiveness at 50 yds. but in the hands of an experienced shooter, it's lethal at at least twice that and with the M3A1 Grease Gun, we were able to fire effectively at well beyond the listed combat effective range.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought a 9mm AR (Rock River) and 5 mags last year. I consider it a 100 yd weapon although it will shoot much farther.

100 yards is about what I can clearly see. to hit with open sights.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice to know that it will penetrate and "kill" at those ranges, and as long as you're shooting at something that won't try to get out of the way, you're okay, keep banging away until you hit. As a practical matter though, an accurate first hit is as important as what it does when it hits, or you don't get the second shot at all.

Or third, or fourth.....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I am an avid hunter of the G'Hog, Ground Grizzly, Pasture Poodle, Bean Muncher, Whistle Pig, WoodChuck, Groundhog, .....whatever you want to call them.

At 100 yards I have seen them walk, run, and drag themselves back to a hole or tree/bush line with guts hanging out.....and thats with 22-250, 204, 223, 243, 308, 25-06, 22 Hornet, and 17 Hornet rounds.

...under 50 yards I have seen them do the same thing hit with 22Mag, 38spl, 380ACP, 357Mag, 45ACP, 40SW, 44SPL, and 9MM. They are just tough tough critters. Sometimes they bang flop dead with the tail wag with a 400yd 22-250 hit.....and sometimes they take a hit under 50 and bolt...

I had one take an arrow through the middle and broke the arrow off going to the hole...they can be amazing.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have a HK 94 and it is very accurate, however I rarely shoot it past 100yds. Thinking next range trip I will see how it groups at to 200yds just for fun.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I wouldn't switch. A carry gun is primarily for up close work. A rifle is for long ranges.

The shooter was really good. How many here can shoot a handgun as well? Not me.

That's why I also carry a 45 (on my time). I have to carry a 40 for work.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I knew there was a good reason I bought that 9mm 1911!!GI1

1 - 20 of 35 Posts