M14 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The following is taken from a letter I sent to a gunsmith today. I had a custom bush rifle built with an Armscorp receiver, Barnett 18" barrel, and all USGI parts. Read on and see what I mean...

I have a match M1A that has been worked on by Smith Ent. in Arizona and Guntek in Virginia.

8O The work from these two shops is excellent. I'm very sorry for the confusion. Please understand, I am refering to a different gunsmith, who's name I will no post openly but will gladly release on a one on one basis. Both Smith Ent and Tom Kivelhan at Guntek are true craftsmen who created the rifle by which I judge all others. Again, I am very sorry for an confusion I may have caused. 8O

My father was a Marine before me and I grew up around M1A’s. Through the Marine Corps, the Police force, and competitive shooting I have had a rifle or pistol by my side since I was old enough to ride a bike. I work with people who build and do a lot of custom work on firearms. We have several M14’s and M1A’s at our range.
I picked up my new rifle today. I was very disappointed.

1 The GI stock has dings through the glass coat and dark oil stains.
2 The hand guard is a mess.
3 The selector cut is filled in.
4 The right “wing” of the trigger guard is bent outwards.
5 The op-rod grinds on the barrel for an inch and a half short of the receiver.
6 The bolt in the op-rod catches before the locking lugs disengage.

The overall appearance is that of assembled parts. The craftsmanship which I have come to expect from gunsmiths and armorers who love their trade and there work is simply not there. The problems with the “furniture” are easy enough to change out but I am sad that you would sent that rifle out, as your creation, in that state of working condition. I took the rifle for inspection and two of our armorers took a look at it also. They were also disappointed at the fit of the parts and general “presentation” of the rifle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.