M14 Forum banner

edited: feed 180 grain or 165 grain softpoints?

3186 16
180 grain or 165 grain softpoints (.308) from Regmington, Winchester, or Federal:
Will these factroy hunting loads, using Nosler Partition or SXT, reliably in a M14, M1a, M1a Scout, M1a Socom, Fulton, or LRBarms?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Soft point will mostly likely deform when loading from the magazine. Also, 180gr commercial loads are too hot for the M14 gas system. Even 175gr match loads tend to beat up on the op-rod a bit.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,620 Posts
I wouldn't. Even in bolt guns the 180 grain bullet is heavy. The reduced case capacity will keep velocity low unless you create a higher than normal pressure level. 180 grain bullets are much better suited for the 30 06 or 300 mags. Commercial bullet companies have powders that we don't have access to, still the pressures are high and velocities over stated in the 308. For hunting the 165 grain bullet out there now will take pretty much anything that walks in America. If you feel you need a 180 grain bullet, I'd pick another rifle to hunt with

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've found that some gas guns are finicky feeding softpoint hunting bullets while others feed them with few problems. You have to try them in a particular rifle to know for sure.

In any case, as mentioned earlier, they tend to deform the bullet tips.

I've even found that the poly-tipped hunting bullets will give feeding problems on some rifles. I don't know why!

There's a solution, if you want to hunt big game with a gas gun. Sierra makes a 165gr. HPBT GameKing bullet that functions perfectly in every M14/M1A style rifle that I've tried them in. Use the same loading data that you'd use with the 168gr SMK bullet. I believe that there's factory loaded ammo that uses this bullet - possibly Federal Premium?

Largest animal that I've ever taken with one was a quite heavy Mulie buck. It worked like a charm, but I've no experience with this bullet on elk. I tend to think that it'd do just fine with a well placed shot at a reasonable range.

HTH

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll let you all know how the 165 grain Nosler Partition works in my M1A in about a week. Sherlock, I just hope I get lucky with this but if I experience the problems you describe, I will look at the Sierra HPBT as a fallback

The Black Hills Gold .308 is in hand and now I need for the region to dry up just a little. (We haven't had this much rain in Southern California since 1873.)

I will be trying this load in preparation for my up-coming hunting trip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
softpoints shoud be fine, according to Springfield Armory..

softpoints shoud feed fine, according to a Springfield Armory rep.... advises to clean more often & throughly to get the leads out.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,620 Posts
I/I've had zero problems with function or accuracy from the 165 grain Partitions or Game Kings, both soft points. Yes the nose does deform a bit in the mag, but accuracy and function were great in my rifle. Also, the polymer tipped bullets work well in my rifle as well. I've used 125 to 165 grain hunting bullets with no problems at all and most were pretty close in accuracy as the match bullets. Happy hunting :D .

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,109 Posts
180 to heavy?

TEA said:
Soft point will mostly likely deform when loading from the magazine. Also, 180gr commercial loads are too hot for the M14 gas system. Even 175gr match loads tend to beat up on the op-rod a bit.
I have fired many 180 grain bullets Mexican Match loaded on M118 loads without problems. I found this load shot well in my M14NM rifle at 600 and 1000 yards. However, the 180 doesn't always perform with good accuracy in all rifles. The 175 grain Match King was designed to perform similar to the M118 173 grain Match bullet and is not considered a heavy load for the M14. Over the many years I've been shooting in competition, I found that the M1 and M14 rifles will handle anything up to 185 grains (Lapua), but shooting 190's requires some modifications to the gas system. Loads should be kept to the 2550 to 2650 fps range.

One of the nice things about commercial M14 rifles is that they are fairly kind to the op rods. Lugs hold up well and don't get chewed up like they do in GI M14's. The only problem I ever had with an op rod was when mine got bent during a rattle battle at Ft. Ord, CA. We were shooting Special Ball in very windy conditions and the beach sand thoroughly gummed up my rifle. I didn't have an opportunity to remove the grease from the action before the match. It took a good size rubber tire hammer to get the op rod to move! :p

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ted, I said "180gr commercial loads" would be too hot for the M14 gas system, since he was asking about commercial hunting ammo. Handloads are a whole different story. Since you brought it up, though, how hard is it to get a load that has enough umph to stablize the 180gr bullets sufficiently for longer ranges, but without too much umph to damage the op-rod?

·
Banned
572 Posts
Try the factory hunting loads from black hills in it. They have barnes x bullets and a few others that are safe in the m14. Just keep it under 175 grain. I use cast bullets al the time and solid copper x bullets too. I've never had a problem with either. Bullet shape does have a lot to do with it. The nose needs to enter the chamber and not the back of the barrel or it will be deformed a little but normally it's not a problem. All of my loads work perfectly fwiw. Even the 175 grain cast lead bullet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
factory hunting loads from black hills with barnes x

m14dan said:
Try the factory hunting loads from black hills in it. They have barnes x bullets and a few others that are safe in the m14. Just keep it under 175 grain. I use cast bullets al the time and solid copper x bullets too. I've never had a problem with either. Bullet shape does have a lot to do with it. The nose needs to enter the chamber and not the back of the barrel or it will be deformed a little but normally it's not a problem. All of my loads work perfectly fwiw. Even the 175 grain cast lead bullet.
good ideal: "...factory hunting loads from black hills in it. They have barnes x bullets..."

Barnes X are fine bullets

·
Registered
837 Posts
justshoot said:
remington 150gr cor-lock have worked for me.try them I hope they work for you too. :)
I've used them in my Garand, which has a finicky gas system compared to the M14, so I'd imagine that they'd work fine in an M14 type rifle, too. Not much exposed lead, so there isn't a lot to deform during feeding.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Took that Black Hills Gold 165 Grain'd Nosler's. Dialed my rifle in with it easily. Just an inch lower at 100 yards than Argentine surplus. Feeds well, shoots well. The plastic tip doesn't deform when chambering like lead might... :?: :roll:

I can't account for the impact/expansion/penetration. I got one shot on the hog and hit the spine. :evil:

I will say that there was only a small exit wound. I fugure most of the energy in the round was imparted on the bone. At 165 grain's, I would feel comfortable using it for bigger game than the 200lb'ers we have out here. But mine is not the informed opinion. :lol:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Dizos said:
My Springfield M1A bolt spontaneously disassembled after the third shot using 180gr Core-Lokt while sighting in for a hunt a couple years ago. Coincidence?

-- Dizos
LOL I hate it when things like that happen.

My bed spontaneously got messed up last night and my stomach spontaneously got upset after I ate mexican food too. The dangest thing ever!! 8O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.