M14 Forum banner

Edit: New Builds Taking Form

3627 Views 71 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  anthonypd
Gathering all the parts for my next build.

So far:
Fulton m21 receiver
Satern heavy stainless barrel
GI op rod, trigger, and bolt
GI NM hooded rear site and SEI nm front site
Unitized (welded) SAI gas cylinder
T44 reproduction stock inlet for dummy selector by Ted Brown

Not going to bed this one, but hoping it’ll be a real shooter none the less

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Varnish Natural material

Brown Wood Hardwood Varnish Wood stain

Light Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Wood Rectangle Parallel Font Metal
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looken good. That shorty should handle like a dream, but an M14 just doesn't look right without a flash hider. Kind of un finished or something.
I generally agree for the full lengths. But if you go non traditional, I think all bets are off. For this build, I wanted it to be simple, and versatile. A flash hider on that short/stout build would feel ornamental, and not what I am going for with it.

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Range report:

The fulton w satern heavy barrel bedded in a t44 reproduction was .75 moa for its first group. Minor front sight tweak was all that was done post range day.

The armscorp in fiberglass stock was closer to 2moa, but had a few light primer strikes leading to ftf. New hammer spring is going in to see what happens from there.

my experience is that the shorter barrels need to find the right ammo. These were 175 sierra mk’s which may be a bit too heavy to stabilize.

More testing to be done on that rifle!

· Registered
831 Posts
You should check firing pin protrusion, the tail of the firing pin and the receiver bridge.

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Range time is tomorrow.

I did, however, modify a fulton dummy kit to have a connecting arm. As people may know, the dummy kits with connector arms do not fit with armscorp receivers. For this, I had to bring the arm a bit forward (away from the stock) in a way that the normal connector arm dummy kits wouldn't work. I was able, though, to cut a connector arm, bow the part that goes under the receiver just slightly to get it to lock into place, and then solder the cut end onto a fulton dummy kit. I will have to blue the area where they connect, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Tints and shades

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Trigger was a bit stiff despite stoning. Put a shooting sight adjustable trigger in and it breaks like glass at 4.75. Also sprayed a light layer of truck bed liner on the stock for added strength and texture, a layer of paint, and then 3 coats of clear alumyhyde for added strength/rigidity.

Cold bore shot and then 4 below. FGMM SMK168 at 100 off bench w bags

Astronomical object Circle Science Pattern Event

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Then some additional fun shooting at a much faster rate
Font Circle Astronomical object Art Visual arts

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
@spsosicmcise To your question RE weight on a different thread, it is 12.16 lbs as seen with scope, sling, cheek rest, etc.

It feels lighter given the center of gravity being further back towards your body with shorter barrel without flash hider. It is easy to balance it offhand/standing.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts