M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have frog lube wich i believe is freat to lube blades being food grade. At least better than breakfree.

I have been learning some from MCQbushcraft and he uses goosefat both as lube an protectant but also as cooking fat.

What are some other fats of appropriate viscosity to maintain a m1 or m1a, yet are suitable for cooking?

Would goosefat be like bacon grease and froglube and with heat and friction, turn far to runny for the m1a

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Interesting. I have no clue, but in an emergency I would use whatever I could get my hands on to keep my M1A's action lubed enough to keep the rounds going down range.

I, too, am interested in hearing the pros and cons on this topic.

Thanks for bringing it to the table, Dredsen.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
SFL-0 is supposed to be food grade. I've used it for lube, but not for cooking.

As my granpappy used to say... any oil is better than no oil. GI1

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ballistol has been around for a hundred years or more. The Germans used it to keep their firearms and their soldiers running regular. Something must have worked, because the product is still around. Besides people, it's safe for use for all metals, woods and plastics too. That ain't bad. IMO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ballistol

This is the only product I use on all my firearms to clean lubricate and protect. I have various cowboy revolvers and rifles, leather holsters, and bolt action rifles. I plan to use it on my M1A Loaded.

Never have a problem with lead, copper fouling or rust on any firearm. Also, this product emulsifies with water, maintaining its lubricity in the present of water and can be applied to all materials even when wet. And is bio-degradable and no carcinogens.

Sounds like a commercial, but this stuff really works. Try it you'll like it.GI5

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any cooking oil , or rendered fat. In the old days gun/ machine oil was rendered whale or bear fat. They would cook it out, skim the oil, and let it separate. Oil was bottled and the grease was packaged .

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I'm a FrogLube PASTE fanboy for several reasons. Some info good & bad -

A while back I e-mailed FrogLube and specifically asked about their paste instead of grease on an M1A and they replied they also use it exclusively on M1As as well as other .308s. Not that I put a lot of faith in a manufacturer's report. I've been using it exclusively on my M14SA (Fed Ord) although not a large round count (~200 rounds in last 6 months). I see no visual wear or corrosion (no new shinny) and clean up is very easy IMHO. It does liquefy when heated but still seems to provide lubrication.

I also asked what was the safe/shelf life or "on weapon life", since it is reported as bio-degradable - what time frame for BIO to degrade it? I got back something like, "well it doesn't degrade on its own, so good indefinitely". Not sure I understand the answer.

I've read unofficially that FrogLube is soy bean based and the company says it is food grade - digestible. I have an EDC folder knife that I use it on since I sometimes cut wrappers or lunch items.

In my use, the paste's menthol smell goes away after a week or so and if the weapon is stored, it (FrogLube) becomes like a wax coating.

I have contacts with local Florida LEOs who are always on the water as shore patrol and they also swear by the stuff. The used to have to field strip and lube every few days and with FrogLube they go weeks or more.

I'm Glock armorer for a small department and take care of 870 pumps as well. We had a new safe-kept 870 that developed surface rust in small corners after <6 months old. I used FL paste to clean it and the paste also as protector and nothing else changed but a year since treating no rust at all.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNW4Vn2JiY[/ame]

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
never heard of ballistol being used for cooking.

Any cooking oil , or rendered fat. In the old days gun/ machine oil was rendered whale or bear fat. They would cook it out, skim the oil, and let it separate. Oil was bottled and the grease was packaged .

Have you ever rendered your own fat? there are some nice ladies on you tube that go over the process.

The point of this thread is to find a member that can reccomend one animal fat over the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.