M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to pick some brains, get some advice and some opinions. Here's the deal, I'm currently saving for a new build from LRB. I'm going with the M25 w/ heavy kreiger, Millet LRS 6-25x scoped, this is going to be a DMR ~800 yard shooter. I thought about going the SA M21, love the stock but I want something more tactical (all the guns I own are wood) and the rear lug nixes a lot of stock options.

Originally I wanted the PMRI-HB for this build. The ALCS is classic, first held one at West Point when I fell in love with this stock. I figured the PMRI is a little more ergonomic and I could mount a monopod. I saw a few people use the buffer tube and mix'n'match ar15 stocks. (Great pick of the magpul UBR here -> http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/105956-maiden-range-report-ebr-pic-heavy.html )

Before I spend the extra $300 for the PMRI, I wanted to get some feedback, what do you like with the EBR, or do you like something else? Pros, cons, etc?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original stock is fantastic. It collapses down to nothing, and adjusts well. If you want to save some weight, get the AR tube.
Would shooting longer distances affect accuracy because it wiggles etc or does it fit well? I plan on shooting prone and since I cant mount a rear monopod how does it work with bags? I've heard some people had difficulties.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Would shooting longer distances affect accuracy because it wiggles etc or does it fit well? I plan on shooting prone and since I cant mount a rear monopod how does it work with bags? I've heard some people had difficulties.
I honestly haven't tried it with bags. When you shoulder it, the teeth in the rails dig in and it doesn't move. I'd say that it's slightly less stable than a Magpul stock with a friction lock on an AR buffer tube is, but not by much.

EDIT: Stable, not sturdy. It's insanely sturdy.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Go for It!!!

Spend the extra $300 for the PMRI Sage EBR stock. You will not regret it.

I sent out my next build to replicate or clone the Sage EBR M14ALCS PMRI-HB / TACOM R-I / M14RINM to Ted Brown earlier this month with a Heavy Barrel and little Twist. Its gonna some what look like the one that EBRBuilder made for the U.S. Army Soldiers in the Sand Box.

All Pro's for me. (Thats a gimme)GI1. No Cons

Reactions: aquaticlemming

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Spend the extra $300 for the PMRI Sage EBR stock. You will not regret it.

I sent out my next build to replicate or clone the Sage EBR M14ALCS PMRI-HB / TACOM R-I / M14RINM to Ted Brown earlier this month with a Heavy Barrel and little Twist. Its gonna some what look like the one that EBRBuilder made for the U.S. Army Soldiers in the Sand Box.

All Pro's for me. (Thats a gimme)GI1. No Cons
it's longer, not collapsible and it costs more money. Those sound like cons.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
9The PMRI IS GREAT it's the lightest of them all. And great ergos.

I sold mine because I liked the look of the mod1 clone.

However it was a better sniper setup.

I've had all three and the PMRI is a great stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So heres what I was thinking... the CV (buffer tube) is msrp'd at 795 whereas the PMRI is 1160. The CV accepts nearly ANY ar15/m16 grip and to purchase the PRS stock is only $225 from midway. This puts the PMRI-HB at nearly $150 over the cost of doing it with the CV model, even with the required buffer tube mod.

Is there anyone that has done this that can throw in their 0.02? I saw a few pictures lurking around the site.

I simply can't find the PMRI-HB for sale anywhere. Clyde Armory carries it with the $880 price tag, but it hasnt been in stock for God knows how long...

·
13,515 Posts
Contact Tammy at sage and see if they can help you out. They may have one or be able to direct you to one.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
So heres what I was thinking... the CV (buffer tube) is msrp'd at 795 whereas the PMRI is 1160. The CV accepts nearly ANY ar15/m16 grip and to purchase the PRS stock is only $225 from midway. This puts the PMRI-HB at nearly $150 over the cost of doing it with the CV model, even with the required buffer tube mod.

Is there anyone that has done this that can throw in their 0.02? I saw a few pictures lurking around the site.

I simply can't find the PMRI-HB for sale anywhere. Clyde Armory carries it with the $880 price tag, but it hasnt been in stock for God knows how long...
I remember reading that the PRS stock doesn't sit correctly on the chassis if you use a buffer tube to install it. Take a look at the Sage site and the Magpul page on the PRS to see what I mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contact Tammy at sage and see if they can help you out. They may have one or be able to direct you to one.
I can always order one from SAGE for MSRP but 1160 is nearly half of the barreled action it self. I appreciate it and I'll keep it as a last resort.

I remember reading that the PRS stock doesn't sit correctly on the chassis if you use a buffer tube to install it. Take a look at the Sage site and the Magpul page on the PRS to see what I mean.
Saw that mentioned once or twice... that is a good point. I'll see if I can find some pics.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I can always order one from SAGE for MSRP but 1160 is nearly half of the barreled action it self. I appreciate it and I'll keep it as a last resort.

Saw that mentioned once or twice... that is a good point. I'll see if I can find some pics.
I'm assuming that you're active duty. Keep in mind that Sage offers a 10% discount(unless I'm remembering wrong) for active duty servicemembers on their stocks if ordered direct.

·
13,515 Posts
I pulled some pics off Google to illustrate.

You may save a buck and install a prs to a sage ebr chassis.

Take a moment to examine the dimension between the cheek piece and the eye piece of the scope.

MANY people use improvised head position when shooting due to poor scope mounting, and I'm afraid this prs will require one as well.

In fact, notice how far back the the rings are mounted on the DCSB??? Out of hundreds of ebrs I have never seen that.

By joining a PRS2 (g3 stock) with sages PMRI rear piece you get a couple inches closer to your scope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.