M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies (he's a Captain, recently medically retired) says he never saw an M14 on the battlefield in his deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Yet another guy on another forum says he didn't see any on his deployment (157th IN Bn CO ARNG) either. The second guy was saying that the M14 is an obsolete weapon and the M110 is far superior to the M14 and that the M14 has been mothballed and doesn't see any service anymore. Maybe in the Mk14 Mod 0/1 chassis they just didn't recognize them?

Does anyone have any solid facts about the M14 in combat deployment right now (not Wikipedia?)

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
EBR's are still in service, but they are being replaced by M110's. Not because they are far superior, it's for logistical reasons.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am currently in Afghanistan and have an M14 EBR leaning on the wall behind me. My first question would be what were your buddies jobs? If you're outside the Infantry world there wouldn't really be much of a reason to have them.

Not all infantry units have M14's organic to them stateside (MTOE) and once they get in country they can request them based on need. That's exactly what my unit did, most small arms fire was coming from 600m+ and we had a gap in capabilities between our weapon systems (M4's and m240L's). We requested EBR's to fill that gap and we received them.

I do not believe the M110 is going to replace all M14's. The M14 is far cheaper to employ, maintain, and requires less training at the Squad Designated Marksman level. Its a rack grade M14 put in a chassis with a simple scope (Mil-dot with 1MOA adjustments on the elevation turrets) vs a precision AR10 platform with a more precise scope that requires more training to be proficient with.

I have both M14's and one M110 currently fielded in my squad and although they are both long range weapons, we employ them differently. The guys who carry my M14's are all straight leg 11B's and essentially just rifleman with longer sectors of fire. My M110 guy is a school house trained sniper and gets employed as such with either his M110 or M2010.

My bottom line: M14 is a great SDM weapon that can handle sustained rates of fire and still be good for whats intended for and fills a range capability gap for your standard rifleman. The M110 is a precision weapon that starts to get finicky under sustained rates of fire you'd expect from a traditional rifleman but works great for intended purpose, a suppressed precision sniper rifle.

my .02

Edit: I posted these in another forum here, but I'll share them here as well.

My guys zero'ing, my rifle up front.

Me with my EBR out in Indian Country a few weeks back

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Shake them haters off.

They were bashing just to burst your bubble of m14 bliss.

They could see it! And they tried to destroy it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am currently in Afghanistan and have an M14 EBR leaning on the wall behind me. My first question would be what were your buddies jobs? If you're outside the Infantry world there wouldn't really be much of a reason to have them.

Not all infantry units have M14's organic to them stateside (MTOE) and once they get in country they can request them based on need. That's exactly what my unit did, most small arms fire was coming from 600m+ and we had a gap in capabilities between our weapon systems (M4's and m240L's). We requested EBR's to fill that gap and we received them.

I do not believe the M110 is going to replace all M14's. The M14 is far cheaper to employ, maintain, and requires less training at the Squad Designated Marksman level. Its a rack grade M14 put in a chassis with a simple scope (Mil-dot with 1MOA adjustments on the elevation turrets) vs a precision AR10 platform with a more precise scope that requires more training to be proficient with.

I have both M14's and one M110 currently fielded in my squad and although they are both long range weapons, we employ them differently. The guys who carry my M14's are all straight leg 11B's and essentially just rifleman with longer sectors of fire. My M110 guy is a school house trained sniper and gets employed as such with either his M110 or M2010.

My bottom line: M14 is a great SDM weapon that can handle sustained rates of fire and still be good for whats intended for and fills a range capability gap for your standard rifleman. The M110 is a precision weapon that starts to get finicky under sustained rates of fire you'd expect from a traditional rifleman but works great for intended purpose, a suppressed precision sniper rifle.

my .02

Awesome reply and great information! Thank you so much for your service!

Great pics too!

Shake them haters off.

They were bashing just to burst your bubble of m14 bliss.

They could see it! And they tried to destroy it.
Yeah, the M14 doesn't get much love in the AR world. I didn't want to turn the thread into the typical M14 Vs. AR platform though. GI2

My M14 EBR is mine and it isn't going anywhere except the range and my safe! My buddy (the Captain mentioned in my OP) got to see my rifle for the fist time last night and just drooled over it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In 04 and 05 we saw M14's and M21's on the base in Ramadi. I actually noticed quite a few of them in the chow hall when we got the chance to eat there. Both the Marines and the Army had them. In the Seabees, we just had M16's with scopes on them for our DM/ Guardian Angel roles. We were strictly defensive though. We still had M60's mixed in with our 240B's at that time also. One time I had a few young soldiers ask me about the new weapon that I was carrying, they had never seen one like it. It was a M60! I told them that their grandfathers probably carried this rifle at one time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drew11b,
What scope are you running on your EBRs?
Any secondary optics (irons? RDS?) getting used on your rifles?

Thanks for the good info!
Our EBR's have Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm, mil-dot reticle (non-illuminated), 1 MOA per click elevation, .5 MOA per click windage turrets. I've never used the Iron's on my M14 but all one would need to do is pull the scope and rail off and they'd be usable.

Our M110's have the Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm, TMR reticle (Illuminated), M2 Turrets with .25 MOA adjustments. Back up sights come with the M110, but I've never even seen anyone mount them.

As far as secondary optics, we do not run any additional red dots or what not in conjunction with the scopes. I've seen a few JTAC's with ACOGs that have the doctor sight on top but thats about it. Even the SF dudes we work with either run Eotech's or since their budget allows, Elcan Specter DR's.

We have enough Aimpoint Comp M4's and ACOG's in my Company to where if the mission dictated we could swap out for one or the other. My entire platoon runs ACOG's on our M4's right now, it fits out mission set perfectly. If we were tasked to due internal security and knew the most likely engagements were going to be point blank we'd switch out to red dots.

We carry so much crap that I'd prefer to tailor my gear for what that day's mission was to mitigate carrying extra weight that I was not going to benefit from.

I hope this answers your question, if you have any more regarding anything else please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
708 Posts

my .02

Stay safe soldier.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have to ask, what is the brown box on the side of the EBR?

I've seen them many times and have always wondered, tried using google to not look stupid but that didn't help.

Edited: never mind found it.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
As far as optics i would guess its the same with the military as it is with us... budget.

Im sure anyone would rather have an s and b or a leupold.

Id like to know how nightforce falls in though.

Thanks to drew , who i learned is serving with My son Dax's cousin.
Please eveyone send up prayers for the whole group pictured in drews post.
We want zach to come home so he can go huntin with Dax.

Im glad there are experiened snipers and marksmen like drew there with our family member.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Drew11b Thanks for your service and a at the front, heads up.
A good friend of mine did one tour of Iraq and three in Afghanistan with the Sea Bees.
He carried an M16 in Iraq and a M4 during all tours of Afghanistan.
He's retired now.
We were recently shooting my AR15 16" barrel with a EO Tec and my M14F in a EBR stock with a 4-24 scope.
He had never held or fired a M14 type till mine. After he shot at 600 yards with excellent results he said he wished they would have had M14 EBRs in the Sea Bees.
The insurgents would hit them and quickly flee out of their M4 range.
He wants me to build him an EBR......another M14 believer is born.
Best regards

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.