M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to shooting from a bench and want to improve. In watching some videos, I see the shooters want the rifle to slide straight back in the rest from the recoil. The rail on my EBR causes it to grip the rest and it and the rest bounce rather than slide (I assume this is similar to a bipod and why the bipod isn't as accurate as a rest). The bounce results in having to completely reset for the next shot.

How have you overcome this?

I want to comparison test some various commercial ammo and prove the rifle is sub-MOA. I completed to 1.5 MOA Challenge with a cheap rest and almost no experience (1 group under 1" and 1.3 average) so I have to believe the rifle can do it.

I've thought about taking the bottom rail off. Not excited about that so hoping other solutions have been found. Once I've completed the above project, I don't think I'll continue to be as consumed with accuracy shooting with this rifle so I could put the rail back on.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I do not have an EBR, however with the AR varients I've been using parchment paper and a rail cover. Just be sure to return to the same postion after each shot.

Worth a try. Hope this helps.

I have a rough finish set of owl ears on my rest. Unfortunately, it is the only one that I've found that fits my custom made benchrest halfway decent.

I have noticed that this also makes a difference if your front rest tends to grab the checkering on the USGI fiberglass stocks and plastic stocks. It's not that it grabs it, it just never grabs it the same way each time is the real issue.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Try shooting from a bipod in the prone. Use a rear bag and load the bipod with slight forward pressure, as in toe in to the gun so your entire body is applying the pressure and you are not just pushing your shoulder forward. Dont just muscle your shoulder into the rifle because you still want muscle relaxation. The forward pressure should still be there when you are perfectly relaxed straight behind the rifle. The forward pressure eliminates the jump, helps absorb recoil and leads to faster more consistant follow up shots.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the rail and will take some parchment paper as well :). A bipod is in the near future but I want to wait until I can get an Atlas.

I'll probably get a Caldwell Dead Shot bag unless someone can suggest a better one.

I don't know what to do for a rear bag. The Mod0 only has the tip of the butt plate (no stock). I don't know if I should use a rear bag under that, a bag under the pistol grip or nothing (which I what I've been doing). Suggestions/experience appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
I have never been a good shooter from a rest. I always had better luck shooting prone with a sling and a sand bag under my left hand /wrist. That being said, you have been given some good advice above and I will add to that with a suggestion I have read about in Precision Shooting - add a dusting of talcum powder to your front rest. Adding the talc will make it a little slicker.
Another is that someone makes an attachment to fit on the sling attachment stud that is flat and designed to make the forearm ride the front rest. Maybe Sinclair, I am not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts