M14 Forum banner

eBay Greenie

2790 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bildoe308
Last week I was on various forums, GB and ebay looking for an ART II. On eBay I came across this ad for a "Vintage Redfield 3 x 9 Rifle Scope- Denver Colorado"

Looking at the pictures posted, it appeared to be either a well done clone or something home brewed, I couldn't really tell. Bidding began at $127 and a second bid of $139. The second bidder was topped out around $650, I set my max bid and waited. I posted in the Optics forum here about the USMC Greenie serial number range and learned a few things. Shortly after, I won the auction, paying $661.51 plus shipping. After a few PMs between M1Army and I, and a couple of responses on the thread, I came into contact with USMCSGT0331. Earlier this week, this arrived-

Earlier today I received an email from Ryan. He and others had been working through pictures I had sent him, and they had authenticated the scope as being an original Greenie. Ryan stated that it was the highest serial numbered scope that had turned up. It was authenticated by the coloring and other distinct physical features.

As of now I am unsure of what I'm going to do with the scope. But I can say that it will not be hidden away or placed on a slap together clone. Before anyone thinks of making an offer, one of Ryan's associates has made an offer to buy it. If I do decide to sell the scope, that individual will have first right of refusal.

I am grateful and appreciative to Ryan, his friends, M1Army, and others who took the time to assist me with authenticating the ebay Greenie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Excellent find, I knew that one was the real deal on eBay.

FWIW, I was the other bidder who came in 2nd place. I tried to double my bid to $1200 with 13 to 15 seconds to go - but some stupid ITAR export warning banner popped up twice - by the time I clicked thru the pop ups, and eBay was churning, the auction was over. I literally cursed at eBay profusely and have bummed all week about that...had I submitted that bid 3 or 4 seconds earlier I think I would have won it - but I don’t know know what your max bid was.

I had dreams about finally owning a greenie, but dashed by an eBay pop-up that I had never seen until last Sunday night when I bid on it at approx 7:59 and 45 seconds....

Speaking of Ryan, he recently hooked me up with an early M40A1 transitional mount from the 1977-1980 period and I was going to use that greenie for an early M40A1 build. (I know of one early smear stock that a collector might trade me for something I have that he wants).

Enough of my sad story, you got a nice scope at a nice price, congrats! That scope is a true piece of USMC scout sniper history!

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent find, I knew that one was the real deal on eBay.

FWIW, I was the other bidder who came in 2nd place. I tried to double my bid to $1200 with 13 to 15 seconds to go - but some stupid ITAR export warning banner popped up twice - by the time I clicked thru that pop ups, and eBay was churning, the auction was over. I literally cursed at eBay profusely and have bummed all week about that...had I submitted that bid 3 or 4 seconds earlier I think I could have won it - but I have no ideal what your max bid was. I had dreams about finally owning a greenie, but dashed by an eBay pop-up that I had never seen until last Sunday night when I bid on it at approx 7:59 and 45 seconds....

Speaking of Ryan, he recently hooked me up with an early M40A1 transitional mount from the 1977-1980 period and I was going to use that greenie for an early M40A1 build. (I know of one early smear stock that a collector might trade me for something I have that he wants).

Enough of my sad story, you got a nice scope at a nice price, congrats!
Well, sorry Random Guy. The ITAR notice hit me as well on my laptop. I logged in on my cell phone to up my max bid the day of and it didn't appear. Ebay customer service wasn't helpful, they said I couldn't buy a scope and have it shipped into Texas.

· Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
I saw this one early on and knew it was either the real deal or one of the best early repo's I had ever seen (the higher serial number was throwing me off).

I knew several forum members were bidding and I never really ever got in the game. I have several nice gen 1 Redfields (duel strada lines and tombstone) but neither are anodized green, but some day.

I will be posting some pics of my M40 clone which I just got back from Raven Rifles, I just need to work my magic on the Taylor Precision Walnut M40 stock and mount one of my Redfield scopes!

Great pick-up JEHunt

M1Army

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.