M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new "Loaded M1A, 2nd M1A, Have a problem, cant remove the op rod. Have aTRW that I was going to replace the SA with but the SA will not come out. Any suggestions or should I leave well enough alone. Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
The commercial receivers are notorious for difficult op rod removal and sometimes require a bit of prying with a small flat head screwdriver. Being extrememly careful not to scratch or marr the park.

I've always turned the action upside down in order to allow the help of gravityGI2

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. Keep working on it, they are notoriously hard to remove the first time. After that it gets easier and easier.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Actually, I don't use the screwdriver trick at all. Remove the spring, pull the bolt back while "lifting" and feel the dismount notch engage. Give it a gentle smack with the heel of your hand from the bottom, or gently with a rubber mallet. Just a pop will do. Gently...Not a whack....Don't use a steel hammer....Did I say gently is all it takes? LOL

I've seen too many pry marks on receivers and op rods to reccomend the screwdriver method, but it works too.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome to the Club.
About your Op Rod ,Read the Stickie and Dont Force it take your Time. It may not make you feel any better better but it took me 8 months to get mine off for the 1st time, But I did it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, Will keep at it. Sounds like it needs to have some lead down the tube. On my other m1a have been using 42 grains of IMR4895 with a 168gr hpbt. Does this sound right? My Fed Ordance seems to like that load. Anyhow everyone have a MERRY XMAS

·
Registered
744 Posts
42.0 grains sounds about right if you are using commercial brass.

Congratulations on the new member of your family.

And welcome to the family of hard op rod members.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The screw driver method is OK. Just use some tape and caution. Also, the rubber mallet trick works fine too. But, I have found that talking nice to can also help as you are tryinn to persuade the oprod out. If that doesn't work, you can always get mad at it, swear a few times, then come back to in an hour later, and that sometimes works too.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The newbies are generally always a tad stubborn ...

It'll come out of there eventually ... yappin @ it ... screw driver ... mallet ... a little time & patience ...

Congratz

Six

1 - 11 of 11 Posts