M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the M1A rifle, so a quick question, that I’m hoping is alright to ask on here. Are the early 4and 5 digit Springfield Armory rifles a desirable collector?

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Some are, some aren't. Each one needs to be examined closely on an individual basis.

Condition.
Such rifles are 20-45 years old. Some are still NIB. Some have a high round count, but have been properly maintained. Some may have a low round count, but have been improperly stored or handled.

Parts Content.
SAI used many sources to obtain parts back then. The on-hand supply varied from one day to the next. Some parts are new USGI, some are used USGI. Some USGI parts or combinations are not as desirable as others. Some will be new commercial. My personal opinion is that the commercial parts made back then are not as well made as those of today. You don't know the parts content of the rifle until you take it apart.

The Unknown.
20 plus years has given gun plumbers and other assorted miscreants plenty of opportunity to screw with the rifle. Everything from simple parts swapping and incorrect modifications, right up to things are flat out unsafe.

The bottom line is that the rifle needs to be examined by someone with plenty of M14 and M1A experience. There are a good number of them participating on this forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some are, some aren't. Each one needs to be examined closely on an individual basis.

Condition.
Such rifles are 20-45 years old. Some are still NIB. Some have a high round count, but have been properly maintained. Some may have a low round count, but have been improperly stored or handled.

Parts Content.
SAI used many sources to obtain parts back then. The on-hand supply varied from one day to the next. Some parts are new USGI, some are used USGI. Some USGI parts or combinations are not as desirable as others. Some will be new commercial. My personal opinion is that the commercial parts made back then are not as well made as those of today. You don't know the parts content of the rifle until you take it apart.

The Unknown.
20 plus years has given gun plumbers and other assorted miscreants plenty of opportunity to screw with the rifle. Everything from simple parts swapping and incorrect modifications, right up to things are flat out unsafe.
The one thing about these is that they have been owned by the same person since the early 70’s, so unless they were tampered with before then, they’ll be in original condition.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Quite possibly, but I've seen rifles that were fired once, not cleaned and then stored in a humid basement for 30 years. The carbon attracted moisture and, well, the outsides still looked pristine, but the insides were not pretty. You need to look at the bore, flash hider and piston.

On a similar note, the operating rod may look new, but it actually is a refinished one that saw a lot of use on an M14. The only way to tell is to take it off and closely examine the tab. SAI only measured the center of the tab, to see if it was within spec.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Then there are the little things. Lock bar sights, lipless gas cylinders, recalled bolts and krinkle painted stocks decrease desirability. Whereas a USGI bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer are a huge plus.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite possibly, but I've seen rifles that were fired once, not cleaned and then stored in a humid basement for 30 years. The carbon attracted moisture and, well, the outsides still looked pristine, but the insides were not pretty. You need to look at the bore, flash hider and piston.

On a similar note, the operating rod may look new, but it actually is a refinished one that saw a lot of use on an M14. The only way to tell is to take it off and closely examine the tab. SAI only measured the center of the tab, to see if it was within spec.
Ok, I haven’t gotten ahold of them yet, I’m still dealing with his Garands and early AR’s, and one m1carbine. When I get my hands on them, I’ll disassemble and inspect thoroughly. Thanks much!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then there are the little things. Lock bar sights, lipless gas cylinders, recalled bolts and krinkle painted stocks decrease desirability. Whereas a USGI bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer are a huge plus.
Good information to have. I will be posting updates as soon as I get a good look at them. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good information to have. I will be posting updates as soon as I get a good look at them. Thanks 👍
We have a lot of old stock to go through, and I’m no expert on anything we’ve been digging out, so I’ll likely be pestering folks on here for info, and suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts