M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a pristine 33,000 serial # SAI standard model for $1300. It has a mix of GI/commercial parts that seem to be typical for the era and it shoots fine. My question is about the receiver heel to stock fit. I've read where it is common to have some daylight on the early receivers like this, but on mine it's significant on every stock I put it in; GI, commercial, fiberglass it doesn't matter. And the daylight is visible from the tip of the heel to directly under the rear sight base; almost two inches.

Is this just a way out of spec receiver or common for the serial range? What serial range did the change occur? BTW my 40,000 SAI fits tight as a drum and is definitely cut different than this one. My LRB's and late model SOCOM also fit fine. The stock it came in was a GI walnut that had raised bedding in the back to contact the receiver.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an early sai also and I noticed they have a ridge under the right side of the receiver that requires you to inlett a stock for it to fit. I used a dremmel so I could have two stocks for it.
I did that with one of my beater stocks, but it just seemed to "high-center" in the middle of the receiver. I think I would have to mill off the stock liner leg in order to get it flush, and I don't know if that would screw things up more than help.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Check to see if the receiver legs go all the way into the stock liner, sometimes the receiver legs are wider than the stock liner so you have to take the stock liner out and file it a little at a time until the receiver fit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Take a look at the receiver on the right. This is an early SAI, notice that it’s not machined flat on the operating rod side? For whatever reason early SAI receivers weren’t finished correctly and this is probably why you’re having trouble fitting it to a stock. I don’t know when SAI corrected this issue, but it is common. Two things you can do to fix it; 1) inlet the stock or 2) send the receiver to a machine shop and have that area milled flat. Inletting the stock is the cheapest and easiest way to get a good stock fit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a look at the receiver on the right. This is an early SAI, notice that it’s not machined flat on the operating rod side? For whatever reason early SAI receivers weren’t finished correctly and this is probably why you’re having trouble fitting it to a stock. I don’t know when SAI corrected this issue, but it is common. Two things you can do to fix it; 1) inlet the stock or 2) send the receiver to a machine shop and have that area milled flat. Inletting the stocking is the cheapest and easiest way to get a good stock fit.

Yup that's exactly the difference. On my 40k receiver the heel is deeper, but unlike your example on the left, mine has a slight shoulder cut on the right side, below the rear sight.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I have owned two 7.62mm marked SAI M1A rifles one a 61xxx and another 25xxx, the earlier ser number had a much higher shelf than the later. I was told that back in the day when you could order a select fire M1a, they used the same receiver mold for both receivers. Those rifles that were too be built as semi auto rifles had the lug milled away, select fire didn't. The extra receiver shelf has been hit and miss some ser number ranges are more pronounced than others are.

I know its bothersome, but it is what it is. Now that you know what your looking at just inlet the stock or bed the rifle.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I did not know that. Guys who bought those old rifles sound like they were rough cobs who just dealt with what they got.

I am not a rough cob, so it's good SAI got it right by the time I got one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
That wasn't all older SAI receivers that had that ridge. It was a specific period of receivers around serial number 30,000. Earlier and later receivers didn't have it. I've had a couple of them in that range and they both had that feature.

I could always get a stock to fit by filing out an area for the ledge, but it prevented you from swapping out with any stock.

Cass

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would SAI do anything to correct this?
No, they will not.

I sent my rifle to them a few months ago, asking if they would correct it to spec and they eventually said that they did not consider it an issue. I really didn't expect them to fix it because if the costs involved.

I intend on having a machinist buddy of mine mill the 'porch' down after I find someone in San Diego that has some Brownells Oxpho Blu to spare (to cold blue the exposed metal afterward). I will not pay the ridiculous shipping (Hasmat) for a small bottle of the stuff when all I need is just a few drops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.