M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
What would be the premium on an early M1A (1983 build)...saw one today in a gun store and it had a wood handguard on it. The guy said the handguard was original to the rifle (looked the same as the rest of the wood in finish). I should have remembered the SN, but I went to do a dozen other things afterwords and I cannot remember it. They were asking $1600 for it. I don't know if the price was at all negotiable. A very, very clean looking rifle. Looked like it had very few rounds put through it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
! It may be worth looking in to, T most likely has all GI Parts on it! :-k

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M1A...

Trung Si,
I didn't have time to take it down, but I did notice it had a GI bolt in it. The stock was Springfield, not GI, and the handguard appeared original to the rifle. Also of note-- it had a lock-bar type rear sight on it...a very good looking rifle. Just wondered if the early Springfields, if they are all GI parts are really worth that kind of money.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I suspect it has all GI parts on it, there is nothing wrong with a Lockbar Rear unless you use it in Highpower Comp. Then I'd go with NM Rear, However see If you cant talk him down a hundred or so. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
M1A...

Thanks for the comments gents...
They have a web site and here is the link to it..

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r2506.htm

...this is one of those things where I just wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at some rare commodity only to find out 6 months from now I should have bought it. I suspect it is all GI parts, the rear sight though tells me it is not all factory original to the rifle. I had a standard M1A many years ago and thought this kind of unusual because of the wood handguard. I agree with both Dave and Warbird...it does sound high to me unless it was built to a little higher standard, and it should have all GI parts. Even with all GI parts it sounds kind of high.
I collected German WWII rifles for a lot of years and if you stumbled upon one, many of them "look" pretty much the same. They can be worth vastly different amounts of money though. I want to start shooting competitively and am looking for a good rifle in the $1000 to $2000 range. If it has some character and uniqueness to it, all the better. I just wanted to make sure this was not some "diamond in the rough" that I walked by and found out I should have brought it home.

Thanks again for the comments!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: M1A...

I suspect it is all GI parts, the rear sight though tells me it is not all factory original to the rifle.
SA, Inc. often used lockbar rear sights on M1A rifles right from the factory. They use whatever they have at hand when they build them -- "correct" or not.

The rear sight is almost certainly the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. I also think it's overpriced unless there is some documented additional work. I bought a Sept 94 M1A that had all USGI parts, fired little, in excellent condition for $1100. My gut feel was that the rifle was probably worth about $1300-1400. Unless someone assigned some collector value to this rifle, I wouldn't think it's worth more than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.