M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due they work, or cause any harm. When I was younger I use to go in to the Dr. to clean out my ears because of wax build up. I was introduced to EC and quit having to go in. I haven't used EC in a while and feel pressure again, but read EC may be bad to use. What are your thoughts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I recall reading 'on internet ...' that they are OK as long as you don't burn yourself, or get the ear too hot.

If you have significant wax, then the EC might be good, or have a professional cleaning.

I just gently use a Q-tip daily after regular washing - that works for me.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
R T Delta
150 Posts
if you're talking about ear candling, the studies have shown that most of the "ear wax" that comes out is actually candle wax. have also seen some tympanic perforations from that, and burns in that area do not heal well at all.

if you need to have your ears cleaned, would highly recommend either irrigation with your primary care physician or microscopic removal with an ENT. among the over the counter preparations, the new murine earigate system is among the best.

but for the most part, the ear cleans itself. the ear pushes the wax outward in conveyor-belt fashion to the outer ear, where one can wipe it away easily. if you can imagine, there were no qtips back in the caveman days, so the ears are really designed to take care of itself. there are a few people who produce so much wax that they require professional removal, but on balance, the qtips cause more trouble than they fix.

·
R T Delta
150 Posts
also, one more thing. the alcohol vinegar trick is great for drying out the ear after water exposure, but i only recommend it for swimming, not for routine bathing/showering. the ear will dry itself out. i also use 6-8 parts of rubbing alcohol to 1 part white vinegar. 1:1 is too much vinegar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Spanky,

Way back when I was a Paramedic I was in the ER delivering a injured skate boarder.

The ER Doc said something to me & I didn't hear him, he asked me if I heard him & I told him that I could had trouble hearing out of that ear for the past few days.

He told me to get up on a ER bed & looked in my ear, he told me that my ear was plugged by Wax. he shot some Hydrogen Peroxided in my ear & melted the wax.

Is this a good way to remove wax?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts