Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E2 rear sling swivel, fake or USGI?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Never had a real stock apart - yet.

Just examined my known repro set - and the ones you have posted appear to me to be much more complex machinings/forgings. The repros are just a factory M1/M14 swivel machined bigger to take a bushing and the tab flattened. If you look at the work put into the ones in the pictures - I doubt if someone faked all that. The "raised pad" is much bigger, the overall machining smoother. Looks like Uncle Sam's work, anyway.

I'd bet GI. Does he have any extras? I'd sure take one if price not too silly.....! CC

Reactions: Phinehas

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had a real stock apart - yet.

Just examined my known repro set - and the ones you have posted appear to me to be much more complex machinings/forgings. The repros are just a factory M1/M14 swivel machined bigger to take a bushing and the tab flattened. If you look at the work put into the ones in the pictures - I doubt if someone faked all that. The "raised pad" is much bigger, the overall machining smoother. Looks like Uncle Sam's work, anyway.

I'd bet GI. Does he have any extras? I'd sure take one if price not too silly.....! CC
Thank you for your observation, and no not as yet on extras. Not a whole lot of detailed info out there on the M14 in this configuration, if it were of German design I bet there would be.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else have an opinion? . . . Art, Guss, Bill,Ted . . .

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I looked into this further by comparing parts drawings and actual known USGI parts. Here is how to tell the difference between various swivels:

M14 stock butt swivel (pn 6008889)- very square corners, both sides of the hole are countersunk to 0.26 " + 0.03 " on the surface

M2 bipod swivel (pn 7791670) - rounded or chamfered corners, one side is countersunk to 0.26 " + 0.03 ", other side of the hole is 0.2175 " wide

M14E2 and M14A1 stock butt swivel (pn 11010046) - rounded or chamfered corners, hole may or may not be countersunk but is at least 0.311 " wide to accommodate a bushing (pn 11010047)

So, if you can pass the bullet end of a 7.62 mm NATO cartridge through the hole on a swivel and it has round or chamfered corners, it's a M14E2/M14A1 swivel.

For the OP, what is the diameter of the holes of the three swivels in the photo? If the holes are at least 0.311 " diameter (try passing a .308 bullet through the hole) you have USGI parts. My USGI M14A1 stock has a butt swivel like the center and right hand parts in the photo above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone know or have the swivel that mounts to the bottom of the M14 E2 grip on the RARE folding Stocks???? i'm looking for 1

sorry to hi jack… but you guys may know…;)

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
E2 rear sling swivel, fake or USGI?
Is it possible that the one in question was an original M14 standard swivel that someone drilled out to accommodate the E2 eyelet. That is what it looks like to me.

I took all the swivels from my stocks out to compare them to the ones I posted in this thread and to yours and this seems possible to me.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
OK, I'm not going to tear my stocks apart to get pictures,and you don't have to believe anything I say but here goes. There were two types of rear sling swivels on the E2 stock. For lack of better words--type 1 (early) and type 2 (later). In the OPs picture type 1 is on the left and type 2 is on the bottom and right. The type 1 used a rounded threaded bushing to thread the lower buttstock screw into as shown in Rens picture. The type 2 used a triangular shaped threaded bushing. The type 2 made it easier to put in the lower buttstock screw as the bushing would not spin when you threaded the screw in. I own both types, I did make a drawing a few years ago of the E2 buttstock screws and the bushings--it is attached.

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
OK, I'm not going to tear my stocks apart to get pictures,and you don't have to believe anything I say but here goes. There were two types of rear sling swivels on the E2 stock. For lack of better words--type 1 (early) and type 2 (later). In the OPs picture type 1 is on the left and type 2 is on the bottom and right. The type 1 used a rounded threaded bushing to thread the lower buttstock screw into as shown in Rens picture. The type 2 used a triangular shaped threaded bushing. The type 2 made it easier to put in the lower buttstock screw as the bushing would not spin when you threaded the screw in. I own both types, I did make a drawing a few years ago of the E2 buttstock screws and the bushings--it is attached.
Greg,

You are my new hero, your back in the will. Please keep an eye out for a E2 Sta.....please.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Since I'm back in the will---OK it's because it's raining here and I'm bored and Different didn't know and I got 99.999999 percent of what I know about the M14 from him, here's pictures of type 2.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[FONT=&quot]

M14E2 and M14A1 stock butt swivel (pn 11010046) - rounded or chamfered corners, hole may or may not be countersunk but is at least 0.311" Yup, wide to accommodate a bushing (pn 11010047)

Lee, Brown & Sharpe told me the same, 0.311" on the two, but the one on the upper left mic'd out at 0.316 with a counter bore of 0.423".

Thank you all, Lee, Ren, Greg, for some great info, this is what makes a forum so valuable, because by the time Lee adds his final addendum, the cost of shipping such an enormous book will be unfeasible.ICONCOOL

[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well after revisiting your picture there must be 3 types, as the swivel in the left of your picture would have the bushing completely inside of the swivel. It would be the same bushing that's in Rens picture.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after revisiting your picture there must be 3 types, as the swivel in the left of your picture would have the bushing completely inside of the swivel. It would be the same bushing that's in Rens picture.
Greg, that's the only bushing I've ever seen in Ren's pics until you posted your photos, and that one does make sense for sure.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
M14E2 and M14A1 stock butt swivel (pn 11010046) - rounded or chamfered corners, hole may or may not be countersunk but is at least 0.311" Yup, wide to accommodate a bushing (pn 11010047)

Lee, Brown & Sharpe told me the same, 0.311" on the two, but the one on the upper left mic'd out at 0.316 with a counter bore of 0.423".
Am I correct to infer that Brown & Sharpe manufactured the M14E2/M14A1 butt swivel and bushing?

I'm not surprised there was more than one design for both the butt swivel and the bushing. The last drawing revision for the swivel allows for either a chamfered or rounded swivel. The bushing is circular in the last revision. Both parts were originally drawn up in October 1963. The swivel was revised twice in 1964. The last revision for each part was drawn in May 1966.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
Is it possible that the one in question was an original M14 standard swivel that someone drilled out to accommodate the E2 eyelet. That is what it looks like to me.

I took all the swivels from my stocks out to compare them to the ones I posted in this thread and to yours and this seems possible to me.
I agree. I think the left of was originally a regular swivel that was milled out. The ones on the right look similar to what I have. Mine all have a round insert....

Just my opinion,
Brad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts