M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on reproducing the design drawings for the E2 buttplate assembly, and I need help from you guys who actually own the real deal.

I created a rough 3D model based upon the imprint left on the E2 stock I own, photos on the internet, and technical manuals from Springfield Armories.

What I need are accurate measurements. My plan is to post a series of drawings each with dimensions noted as A, B, etc. Once I get those dimensions, I'll put up a new drawing with different dimensions requested.

I have a little mill and some aluminum casting experience, so once we get a completely detailed model, I hope to make a few brackets.

There are a few repro brackets out there that have a rough surface. The real USGI brackets are machined cleanly and have no rough surfaces. Please only provide measurements for USGI brackets.

So here we go, Drawing 1:

A) Outside to Outside distance on the flapper ears.
B) Inside to Inside distance on the flapper ears.
C) Width at widest point.
D) Width at narrowest point.
E) Length of narrow part.
F) Thickness of bracket base.
G) Overall length.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNW50cal!

Thank you very much. I'll get the model redrawn to those dimensions and put together a second drawing with the next set of requested dimensions next week.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drawing No. 2

I have incorporated the dimensions provided by tnw50cal in my model, and I have the next set of requested dimensions shown on drawing No. 2.

Drawing No. 2:
A: Edge of 0.320" dia. hole to edge of bracket
B: Edge of 0.320" dia. hole to edge of 0.305" dia. hole
C: Edge of 0.305" dia. hole to edge of 0.320" dia. hole
D: Length of Roll Pin
E: Diameter of Roll Pin
F: Bottom of bracket to top of Roll Pin
G: Thickness of bracket at front of slope
H: Length of slope at center of bracket
I: Width of base of flapper ear
J: Base of ear to edge of bracket

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
FLAPPER BRACKET? I can barely control my outrage over the lack of knowledge in this age of the internet. One only has to GOOGLE "M14 TM" and download the -34 manual to know the part the gentleman is trying to drawing is called "BRACKET ASEMBLY, SHOULDER REST". FLAPPER?! As my old man told me long ago if it is worth doing, DO IT RIGHT! Oh and by the way it is no longer M14E2 as it was officially adopted as the M14A1.

·
Registered
317 Posts
MatthewDS, sorry for the rant. I am assuming the FOIA request did not go well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey Matthew, since your plan is to reproduce the E2 part, are you planning on marking it in a certain way or in certain area so that those who are looking for an "original" bracket assembly won't get taken by someone trying to sell it as a original? (PS don't take offense as I am not saying you will be lying to people. Once you sell the product to someone they may try to sell it off as original, many that may have never seen one might fall for it)). I realize most are marked by manufacturer but not sure how accurate your repo will be. There was a member here who had E2 parts reproduced but purposely marked it so that people would know it was a repo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
WAGS2161
Of course, I was thinking of marking them with my name and the year in the manufacturer marking location. I'm open to suggestions though.

And wizard, I'll update the next set of drawings with the correct terminology..........

Edit, more likely, I would mark them like this:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Maybe just a small marking on the back and can be seen when removed from stock. Maybe "DDS" stamped into back

WAGS2161
Of course, I was thinking of marking them with my name and the year in the manufacturer marking location. I'm open to suggestions though.

And wizard, I'll update the next set of drawings with the correct terminology..........

Edit, more likely, I would mark them like this:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The E2 stock was designed to help control the M14 in full auto fire. But in my opinion a genuine benefit was it is one of the most comfortable stocks out there. Especially when used with a bipod.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Hey Matthew, since your plan is to reproduce the E2 part, are you planning on marking it in a certain way or in certain area so that those who are looking for an "original" bracket assembly won't get taken by someone trying to sell it as a original? (PS don't take offense as I am not saying you will be lying to people. Once you sell the product to someone they may try to sell it off as original, many that may have never seen one might fall for it)). I realize most are marked by manufacturer but not sure how accurate your repo will be. There was a member here who had E2 parts reproduced but purposely marked it so that people would know it was a repo
That member was me. I had correct long screws , correct bushings and standard sling swivels modified to correct profile made up, and I had my machinist Buddy mark them with a tiny "H". GI1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.