M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an SKS stock as a test run before Duracoating USGI fiberglass stocks. Although it is a test, I still plan on selling it. My question to you regards the textured grips. I taped them off thinking the stock would look unique if they remained black, but the sharp corners I think are unattractive.

Do you think I should paint the entire stock OD Green, or keep the grips black? Obviously these photos are not the final results. If I keep them black I'll have to touch up around them.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The checkering's sharp high spots, being the part handled the most, would wear off almost immediately, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have faith in the strength of duracoat. It needs a few more coats of OD Green, then I'll be giving it a clear coat to protect the finish. I think the protective clear coat should prevent it from wearing away.

Are you suggesting leaving them unpainted to avoid that problem?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you mask them, be sure to press the tape down into the groove at the edge nice and snug and then trim away the excess with a brand new X-acto blade or you will get paint bleeding into the textured areas.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
49SFS06

I personally like the offsetting colors on a stock like that as breaks it up and gives some dimension - HOBO has a good recommendation to tape it off - paint and see how it looks! You can always re-spray if necessary! I think it will look great!

Just My .02

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
+1 with M1Army
Leave them Black.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the final result. Turned out decent enough. The clear coat protectant left some glossy patches on one side, but other than that it's decent. I'm debating doing more OD Green coats to get rid of the shine.

This is the side that has the glossy patches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.