M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing DuraCoat services on the side and was told on another forum that I would have to have a FFL. Not really sure why I would have too since Im not selling or manufacturing firearms. Does anyone else have knowledge of this?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unless things have changed, "possession" was defined as 3 days. If you have a firearm in your shop for 3 days, it has to be recorded. The only acceptable recording is your "bound book". The only acceptable person to have a bound book is an FFL holder.

So if you can get things turned around in 3 days, every time, you're probably fine.

But things may have changed.

WichitaWrat

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are y'all saying that, legally speaking, if my buddy and I go out shooting, and for some odd reason or other I say "I'll take your rifle home and clean it up for you", I need an FFL? Wow....

·
Registered
689 Posts
So our laser person at work also does laser work from her house. So I was asking her what she would charge me to laser engrave some new AR lowers I got. She hesitated and then our FFL guy got involved and after some research through the ATF the following.

Even if I was standing there with her while she engraved them she would need an FFL since she was receiving serialized parts and doing work on them.

So it seems yes if the part is serialized then you would need an FFL. Since you would be doing it from a business aspect.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Are y'all saying that, legally speaking, if my buddy and I go out shooting, and for some odd reason or other I say "I'll take your rifle home and clean it up for you", I need an FFL? Wow....
No, that should be fine. You need to check with your state laws. Sometimes the person "borrowing" the firearm may need to have an FID or Handgun Permit.

However, if you are accepting firearms for service as a business, then you need an FFL. Especially if the firearms will be delivered via common carrier or USPS.

You can still ship a firearm across state lines to "yourself," and some states allow you to ship a firearm to someone else as long as it doesn't cross state lines.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
No, that should be fine. You need to check with your state laws. Sometimes the person "borrowing" the firearm may need to have an FID or Handgun Permit.

However, if you are accepting firearms for service as a business, then you need an FFL. Especially if the firearms will be delivered via common carrier or USPS.

You can still ship a firearm across state lines to "yourself," and some states allow you to ship a firearm to someone else as long as it doesn't cross state lines.
I'm in NY State, and just *thinking* the above will:

1. Have our lovely governor label you a "right wing extremist"
2. Have NYSP knock down your door
3. Have all your guns seized
4. Bankrupt you in legal fees all for just trying to help a friend
5. Your guns will disappear forever.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
In NY State you are not even supposed to trade a Handgun to another Pistol Lic Holder at the Range. If you are not in NYC you can let someone shoot your Rifle but not your Handgun.
You see handguns are way more dangerous than Rifle (except a Black one).
Don't you guys watch TV?

tokiwartooth
If the Law has been changed please correct me.

We all did what we wanted anyway. There was not a Cop behind every shooting Bench.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
In NY State you are not even supposed to trade a Handgun to another Pistol Lic Holder at the Range. If you are not in NYC you can let someone shoot your Rifle but not your Handgun.
You see handguns are way more dangerous than Rifle (except a Black one).
Don't you guys watch TV?

tokiwartooth
If the Law has been changed please correct me.

We all did what we wanted anyway. There was not a Cop behind every shooting Bench.
Pistol permit holders can shoot each others firearms at the range.
Before they pretty much tossed the ammo background check, no one legally could shoot each others rifles and handguns because you couldnt "give" someone ammo without a background check. They dropped the system, in favor of gun stores logging purchases. They dont even do that. Still cant buy ammo online.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.