M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have about 800 once fired Fed. GMM cases and would like to reload them with 168 SMK Bullets and IMR 4064 which I believe was used by the Factory to load the original Rounds. I don't have a Factory round to break down and need to know the Powder weight of the original loading. I want to load some for my M21/NM. Any help would be much Appreciated. Thanks.............Lew

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the original gmm that gave it the initial reputation was loaded with 3031? 4064 is a good powder though with that bullet weight.
By Original, I mean the powder they are currently using. I didn't know that they used 3031 at one time. Thanks.................Lew

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
41.7 grains of IMR 4064 is the load for the MK 316 but that uses the 175 grain SMK. Even it is modified somewhat by an additive to make the powder cleaner burning.

I have not seen the exact load used in the GMM, but I haven't been looking for it either. I have to wonder if it uses a canister grade of powder?? Since you won't be able to duplicate the powder, why not set up your chronograph and duplicate the velocity instead??

Ray

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
They've used other charge weights and powders. Like us they have issues getting powder too.

I would do a workup of my own rather than using someone else' formula. It's not difficult and if you are a consistent shooter you can find your load in ~20 rounds or less.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They've used other charge weights and powders. Like us they have issues getting powder too.
Really, you think if Federal calls up Hodgdon and orders 20,000 or more lbs of IMR 4064 that they will be told they have to use something else? Especially when they are loading for .gov, I doubt it. I belive the reason 4064 is so avilable is because Federal is using so much of it that Hodgdon can't be bothered to switch out the line to make Varget or something else. Good news is that 4064 is a pretty dang good power more consistent between lots than Varget and better temp stability than Reloader 15.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I have about 800 once fired Fed. GMM cases and would like to reload them with 168 SMK Bullets and IMR 4064 which I believe was used by the Factory to load the original Rounds. I don't have a Factory round to break down and need to know the Powder weight of the original loading. I want to load some for my M21/NM. Any help would be much Appreciated. Thanks.............Lew
Lew, 42.0grs of IMR-4064 in a LC case has been a long standing default Match load with both the 168/175 SMK I dout it will give you any trouble today, with that said you could play +.5 in a commercial case.

I thought the original gmm that gave it the initial reputation was loaded with 3031?
Correct, 39-39.5grs in a FC case under a 168SMK.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
For best results (especially for 600 yards and further) WEIGH each powder charge to plus/minus 0.1 grain.
4064 does not meter particularly well due to it's size.

Yes, the primer pockets on Fed GMM cases will get loose after a few reloads, but it does resize and trim nicely. I've had good results using CCI 200 and Wolf primers.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
A guy on sniper's hide took some of the newest stuff apart and it matched the spec sheet:

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...ral-gold-medal-match-load-mk-316-mod-0-a.html

It seems some people either have great results or terrible results. My M1A hates it, a friend's savage loves it.

Last time I took apart 168gr M1A fed ammo it was 42.5 short-stick-varget looking stuff and that gave me a good dupe of it in my DPMS SASS and Remington.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I pulled a few cases and measured the charges some time ago. They were around 42.7 grains, however did not look like all 4064. There were some smaller extruded pellets in there along with the longer 4064. I would have guessed it was a mix of 4064 and 4895. I would not try to duplicate this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.