M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Disclaimer:
NOT legal advice, only educated guess taking into consideration my knowledge of firearms laws.

There, with that out of the way, I am certain that fabricating your own dummy selector will yield no legal issues at all, because it in no way, shape, or form affects the function of the rifle. Without a selector lug (or similar apparatus), your rifle will not fire fully automatically, no matter how much it LOOKS like it will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dummy selector?? Full Auto???

My friends Dad passed away and he left alot of guns in his camp. We collected them all and found a M14 ... There is something that looks like a selector but it does not function.. How can we tell if this is a fully auto? is this device made to prevent full auto and make it legal to own?? we took it apart but not knowing the working for the select fire we cant tell if it is in fact select fire...Help!!! Thanks...............Semper Fi!!!!!!!!! :

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
kencop93: If it has the small selector lug on the rear right side of the receiver, along with the center op-rod dismount notch and groove cut underneath the front of the op-rod track then it is a real select-fire M14/M1A.

Sounds like you are talking about an M14 with a selector lock installed (ensures semi-auto only). If the receiver has the lug & cuts mentioned above it would still be considered a machine gun, even with the lock installed. Takes ~ 10 minutes work to install the switch I'd imagine.

Dummy selector lock kit installed on the stock:

Sure looks real, doesn't it? :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
type

It will probably be a button (round knob) or a paddle (lever with an "A" on it.

The button is the select fire LOCK.

The paddle is the select/auto toggle.

Check Hawk's website for pictures of both types.

No exactly sure how to tell if the toggle is the "real-deal".

See post in the Ordinance History forum below for a thread titled: Button or Paddle Selector for some more info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Dummy selector?? Full Auto???

kencop93 said:
My friends Dad passed away and he left alot of guns in his camp. We collected them all and found a M14 ... There is something that looks like a selector but it does not function.. How can we tell if this is a fully auto? is this device made to prevent full auto and make it legal to own?? we took it apart but not knowing the working for the select fire we cant tell if it is in fact select fire...Help!!! Thanks...............Semper Fi!!!!!!!!! :
There are , in fact , legal semi-auto real deal NM M-14's with the selector lock installed, and welded.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The most important thing to remember about the dummy kits is, they are attached to the stock, not the rifle. No modifications have been made to the rifle to indicate that an individual was trying to make it fire full auto. I guess that makes the stock a machinegun. :)

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Keocop93
A good question is how is the gun marked behing the rear sight on the rear of the reciever? Who is the maker, what is the model, and caliber marking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
more info

it is not a dummy kit attached to stock it is on the lug on the receiver and the lock has a pin its not welded. it is marked Springfield armory 7.62mm m14 4 digit seial # on receiver. Dont know serial number of top of head. gun was left at camp until we know whats up..dont wanna get in trouble

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: Dummy selector?? Full Auto???

Hunterex said:
kencop93 said:
There are , in fact , legal semi-auto real deal NM M-14's with the selector lock installed, and welded.
Yes, but all but one are still considered by BATFE to be machineguns and must be registered. I hope your friend's Dad left the NFA paperwork, too.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
A 4 digit serial number Springfield Armory would be a very early and I would imagine a very rare rifle. According to Blake Stevens this rifle would have been part of a pilot order for 15,669 rifles dated April, 1958. The serial number for this pilot order was 200 to 19213.

Does this rifle have the take down notch in the middle of the op rod rail?

Does the receiver look like one of these?

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
237 Posts
Hawk said:
copied and pasted this in here as it was in another thread by mistake:

kencop93 said:
thats the problem..we cant find any paperwork on the gun.....still not sure what it is exactly..Ken"
On man what a find and no paper work...I can see a lot of guys crying buckets here after the services.

Without the paper work doesn't the rifle has too be turned in and introdused too Capt'n Crunch or face some serious Fed Charges?

Anyway too have it grandfathered and get it registed too comply if it is a FA M14?

Karsten

·
Registered
7 Posts
the problem is we dont know what it is,,if not full auto theres no big deal
once we find out for sure i will have to notify atf to see what to do it appears to only fire semi but not knowing this gun that well i dont know if its the "real deal"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tea, I thought that there were more than just one. I know of three offhand, a SA, H&R, and TRW that are in civilian ownership, unregistered and legally owned.

Not arguing, of course.

Kencop93, if it turns out to be the real deal, I'd highly suggest salvaging everything you can off it and letting just the receiver go to the men in black. Get an LRB, Armscorp, Fulton, SA - etc receiver, and have it built up.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
kencop93,
If it is a FA M14 see if your friends father had a saftey deposit box. If your friends father had a lawyer check and see if he has the paper work. Before going to the ATF contact a lawyer knowlegable in firearms law. What you don't know can hurt you.

Regards

Ox

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.