M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Ordered a stock refinishing kit from Creedmoor Sports the other day, and have grand plans of really bringing out the grain in my SuperMatch over Memorial Day Weekend (the factory oil finish on that fine lumber ain't cuttin' it for me at current).

Does anyone have DETAILED stock refinishing instructions? To be honest, 99% of my other hardware is low-maintenance steel/aluminum/plastic (or "polycarbonate" for you writers for Guns & Ammo) and the proper care-n-feeding of an honest-to-goodness walnut stock is something alien to me.

Here's my basic lack of knowledge of stock refinishing: since the receiver is bedded, do I even remove the stock from the rifle?

There. I said it. Please, no laughing. 8-[

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Spike

·
Registered
170 Posts
what's the deal with your current stock

what kind of wood

what are you looking to do

what's in the kit

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Hey There Spike - No such a thing as a dumb question. Bunch of folks around here have asked about stock refinishing. :D

You might want to take a look in the Intel section for some of the info posted by our own members. May not be everything you need to get started, but it may help.

Been trying to work on collecting some info together by our own folks, but haven't had the time to do the job right yet. Maybe I'll have a little more time this summer to get it together. We've got some really good stuff in the old posts.

BTW, Dighawaii and Quagmire have done some absolutely beautiful work on stocks. You can look for their posts by using the search feature here.

Good luck on your project. Love to see some pics when you get it done. :mrgreen:

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.