M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from rainy raw Massachusetts..My dumb question about chrome lined GI barrels is I see sometimes that they
"May Not Head space"... so if I was building a rifle and had a Chrome lined GI barrel and it wouldnt head space is that it?..done?.need new barrel?
Thanks in advance for the help ..Im just trying to know as much as i can about the process

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
If the headspace is short, you can lap the bolt.

Long 7.62 NATO headspace just means shorter brass life, if you reload.

Back when they used USGI barrels, SAI had receivers of slightly different lengths to choose from.

I believe Bula has bolts of different lengths, to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the headspace is short, you can lap the bolt.

Long 7.62 NATO headspace just means shorter brass life, if you reload.

Back when they used USGI barrels, SAI had receivers of slightly different lengths to choose from.

I believe Bula has bolts of different lengths, to accomplish the same thing.
OK! I get it now thanks Kurt .. worth the trouble to use one? or just get new barrel?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Most simple solution is to use a custom sized Bula bolt to accommodate the headspace you desire. They are made from .006 short to .006 long in .002 divisions. They have been produced for exactly the predicament you are describing. I keep a full armorer's set in my shop and order individual replacements as they are used.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Hello from rainy raw Massachusetts..My dumb question about chrome lined GI barrels is I see sometimes that they
"May Not Head space"... so if I was building a rifle and had a Chrome lined GI barrel and it wouldnt head space is that it?..done?.need new barrel?
Thanks in advance for the help ..Im just trying to know as much as i can about the process
Ok, since no one asked I will, what condition is the USGI barrel? Are you wanting to build a rack grade clone of an original M14 used back in the day?

If your sole purpose is to build a shooter with a high level of accuracy you will be better served going with a different barrel.

I have built (had built) many variations of the M14, with different goals in mind. Mostly I have tried to build clones of original M14s, minus the commercial receiver, I got very close!

Like any recipe, you have to have the right ingredients!

And then maybe you end up with these!

REN

·
Registered
263 Posts
The criterion chrome lined standard weight barrels that I have generally shoot better than a GI barrel. I do have GI barrels that shoot great also. Some receiver are made to accommodate GI barrels. I have a Fulton armory receiver that head spaced fine. SEI are hit and miss. You really need a pile of barrels and bolts to choose from when installing GI barrels. It may be fine or you may not be able to make it work.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
They didn't have yo worry about indifference like today because of the differences in commercial receivers
USGI receiver were made to exacting standards and that allowed parts to be used with no problems even from the 4 different makers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, since no one asked I will, what condition is the USGI barrel? Are you wanting to build a rack grade clone of an original M14 used back in the day?

If your sole purpose is to build a shooter with a high level of accuracy you will be better served going with a different barrel.

I have built (had built) many variations of the M14, with different goals in mind. Mostly I have tried to build clones of original M14s, minus the commercial receiver, I got very close!

Like any recipe, you have to have the right ingredients!

And then maybe you end up with these!

REN
HOLY SMOKES!!! Impressive..thanks for the advice

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dave, no such thing as a dumb question, only a stupid answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts