M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to do a USGI Springfield Armory build. Since I'm doing a Springfield I figured I might as well use one of my SAI M1A's to donate the receiver since it says Springfield on it. Would it be a dumb idea to take off a perfectly good USGI barrel to install a perfectly good USGI SA barrel? One of my M1A's has a H&R barrel and the other a Winchester. They both shoot great. I explored the idea of buying an SAI receiver. The problem is too many mixed reviews on current production receivers for my taste. Both rifles I have are from the Valley Odrnance days. I intend to then use whatever barrel I take off for a build down the road on a nice forged receiver. Advice is appreciated. If I'm a dumbass tell me so. Won't hurt my feelings.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quicksilvergoat; I've been wanting to do a USGI Springfield Armory build. Since I'm doing a Springfield I figured I might as well use one of my SAI M1A's to donate the receiver since it says Springfield on it. Would it be a dumb idea to take off a perfectly good USGI barrel to install a perfectly good USGI SA barrel? One of my M1A's has a H&R barrel and the other a Winchester. They both shoot great. I explored the idea of buying an SAI receiver. The problem is too many mixed reviews on current production receivers for my taste. Both rifles I have are from the Valley Odrnance days. I intend to then use whatever barrel I take off for a build down the road on a nice forged receiver. Advice is appreciated. If I'm a dumbass tell me so. Won't hurt my feelings.

Quicksilvergoat,

What would be the difference, just because the receiver says Springfield Armory Inc. on it, that receiver has nothing what soever to do with anything USGI, so what would it matter?

Now, if you had an H&R barrel on a real USGI SA receiver, you might want to make it all correct with genuine USGI SA parts, that would make more sense.

Deep Thoughts

by Jack Handy

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize there is no benefit from doing it . I just wanted to do a SA USGI build since it seems folks are more interested in TRW, Winnie's, and to a lesser extent H&R. I figured why not show SA some love and just use a receiver that shared a name. Financially it makes no sense what so ever. Especially of if I plan on buying a good forged receiver for another build anyway. Just looking for opinions. Like I said "dumb idea"?

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you like it, go right ahead. The only person you have to please in this case is yourself.

It makes as much sense as getting all excited as an "all TRW" SAInc rifle, which is pretty commonly mentioned. (And I'm a "member", except for the early production non-hinged buttplate stock and wood handguard.)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hey, you may want to do a bit of searching through threads from the last couple weeks. For the life of me, I can't remember the title to the one I'm thinking about, but someone evidently had a pretty serious issue with a springfield receiver, doing a similar build. From what I remember, he called, and went through a bunch of crap to get things straightened out, but basically got stuck with a receiver that didn't work with his GI parts. Like I say, I forget the details, but you might want to try to search. It was a pretty recent post. So it would totally suck to try to do that, and just end up with some problems that can't be resolved. Other than that, it seems nice to have matching parts on a rifle, for only that reason, as long as you appreciate it. It might not make any sense except to your own taste, and ideas, and that's good enough. As far as quality, functionality issues, I have no clue about the pros and cons there, but from a purely aesthetic aspect, I can't find any fault with your logic. Anyway, I just wanted to point out the recent post, because that info may be of real value to you. Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coffin I know the thread you speak of. He was using a new production receiver. Both candidates I have currently both have USGI barrels. I'm not saying there won't be an issue. If there is I'll just have the old barrel and bolt put back on. I have a couple of bolts to choose from. So I see no huge issue going backwards if the barrel and bolt won't headspace properly. I appreciate the input guys. I think I'll just go ahead and go for it. I just have to decide which one of my rifles to use as a donor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quicksilvergoat,

I also agree, if you just want to commemorate the Springfield name, that of an armory George Washington himself spoke into being, by all means, build away. It would be a great tribute.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Go for it. Any other heal stamp would look out of place instantly.
As has been said, it's for your own satisfaction, no one else.
I use what I want on my builds too.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
375 Posts
I understand you completely. It's the closest you'll get to the GI version without paying 10K-15K for the rifle + 200 for the stamp. Makes sense to me. I'd be interested in doing that sometime down the road. Better start gettting the USGI parts together before they are all gone. Happy build!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the input. I'm gonna do it. I just have to decide which rifle of mine to use. There is actually another preban rifle from the days when they were still marked 7.62 mm that I'm trying to talk a dealer out of. I really want that receiver for this build. It has a scope on it which I don't need and it's way over priced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.