M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Haven't used the molykote, but I have used Dry Slide on .45 carry pistols. I am not sure, but I don't think Dry Slide has enough lubricity for use on a semi auto combat rifle.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I use the Superlube spray dry on all FCGs, regardless of the weapon. From A5 Brownings to Valmets...However, I do grease the rails/oprod/etc with synthetic grease. My feelings are that the ol M14 needs a smidgen of stuff to slide on. The drawback is that grease is a sand magnet. I use synthetics because their viscosity characteristics do not change nearly as much in the rain, heat, or cold.

This dry lube also has excellent below zero properties, I have actually used it on boltguns and semi autos at better than 10 below with superb results. Unfortunately it does not keep your toes warm.....GI3

Dry Slide is a great product as well, even Harley cables love it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like dry lubricants. But I frequently augment them with something else, like Tri Flow or grease. The seem to provide a great foundation. The 321 is expensive but it comes in a spray can so it's perfect for some larger areas. For instance I will spray down the spring guide or op rod (not handle) or a entire pistol barrel, let it dry and then apply a small amount of something else. It allows me to use less of the dirt attracting lubricants.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have used Moly spray on lube that drys for a while on all my guns. Anywhere that will be exposed to grit/dirt.

Works great.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have only used dry lube on my trigger assembly and it seems to work fine. I just might try shooting some into the op rod next.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Dry Slide is good for the 2-stage AR triggers. I've used Moly at various places on M1A's (op rod, bolt stop, magazine catch) but it's not as good as grease on the lugs and rails. And it goes everywhere, gets onto everything.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Haven't used the molykote, but I have used Dry Slide on .45 carry pistols. I am not sure, but I don't think Dry Slide has enough lubricity for use on a semi auto combat rifle.
Gus...I started using Dri Slide in 1967, Vietnam, on my M14. Never had a bit of a problem with it then, and I use it exclusively on my M1's and M1A today. It seems that the formula may be different today, the new stuff dries faster than the stuff I had in RVN, but the "lubricity" appears unchanged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts