M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anything ever been discussed about letting the Bolt fly foward on an empty M14 Chamber. I know that it is considered a No No to let the slide fly foward without a loaded Mag on the 1911 Pistol but what about the M14. I seem to remember from my Service days that after our Rifles were inspected and the Officer would return the Weapon, we would pull back on the Op Rod, and snap the bolt closed and dry fire. It did not seem to cause any damage, but what did they know back then. Just Curious. BTW I always hold the OP Rod and lower the bolt slowly on an empty Chamber.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have always let that bolt fly home and drop the hammer without issue. YMMV

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do not think it is an issue with a M1A or a 1911.

Letting the slide slam shut on a empty .45 is harmful to the match trigger job -hammer bounce on the tuned sear engagement surface.

I suspect the condition would be similar to a match tuned m14 clone -the mechanisms are different though.

This condition (potential sear/hammer damage) can be avoided by simply holding the trigger to the rear while allowing the slide/bolt to slam home.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Letting the slide slam shut on a empty .45 is harmful to the match trigger job -hammer bounce on the tuned sear engagement surface.
This.

Plus, it's like slamming the door to your house or car. Can it take it? Yeah, but why?

It would be especially rude to do it to someone else's gun.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Somewhere in one of the GI field/training manuals on 1911s I'm pretty sure it describes dropping the slide on an empty chamber as one of the function checks. I'd have to look it up to be sure. Then again, a GI 1911/1911A1 won't have a match trigger job done on it either.

I've always done it to mine. No issues so far, but no real match guns either. Just Colt 1911/1911 type pistols.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have to ask? If the slide slams forward on a 1911 the Hammer is still back. How does it hurt the Trigger job ?

Reactions: MemphisMachinists

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have to ask? If the slide slams forward on a 1911 the Hammer is still back. How does it hurt the Trigger job ?
For me personally....because Kimber says it will. GI1 They aren't the only ones either. Its also verboten to lower the hammer. The proper way to uncock the pistol is to pull the trigger. Riding the hammer down mars the sear engagement.

I seem to remember it depends on exact design/series, but you aren't supposed to drop a round in the chamber and then let the slide close either. It needs to strip from the mag...or you can break stuff.

So if chambering a cartridge (from the mag of course) let that slide FLY home. If closing on an empty chamber... ride it forward. (this is all on a 1911 of course YMMV)

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
I hate to break any bubbles girls

But letting the bolt return to battery is in the manual of arms for the M 14. When you go from inspection arms to order arms. For Christ's sake this board is slipping in the last two days. They're called BATTLE EFFF'N RIFLES FOR A REASON!

I'm getting too old I guess. I knew this CENSOREDGI when I was 15! I guess this is what happens when you go to war with squirrel poppers for 40 years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts