M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some dry fire practice at home and set my rifle on top of the couch while I changed the channel on TV. Apparently I didn't do a good job as it fell. I believe it landed on the rear sight since when I picked it back up, the elevation setting was NOT where I left it, not even close.

I also noticed a popping noise when cycling the action ever one in a while. Sometimes, after cycling the action I would put my hand on the trigger and experience a pop. This happens before the first stage of trigger pull and does NOT release the hammer. I took the trigger group out and noticed friction between the hammer arm and the sear. A bit of metal was showing rub marks. I put grease on that surface and the problem has not returned. Is it a good idea to grease the hammer/sear though? I had not done that before. This is a match tuned trigger by an armorer.

Rifle is a bedded rifle with 1/2 MOA windage and hooded aperature rear sight.

Do you think I did any harm to the bedding or rear sight from the drop?

Thanks.

Ps. I've dropped this rifle before, but it always landed on the scope with no harm done to the rifle. This is the first time I've dropped it without a scope attached.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
sounds like you need to 550 cord it to your chest, lol.

no serously, i dont know. Go shoot it and find out. do a functions check on the entire rifle, dial repeatabilty, functions check, etc.

And quit using your rear sight aperture as a shock absorber, haha.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
after cycling the action I would put my hand on the trigger and experience a pop.
Are you saying that you would "feel" a movement as you first placed your finger on the trigger?
Was the contact area on the front or rear hammer hooks (the area where you applied grease)?

No, it's not usual to apply a light coat of grease on the hammer hooks and the sear(s).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You sir, need to STOP DROPPIN YER GORRAM RIFLE!!! DISHOUT

Wow, you drop your rifle more often than a French soldier!
Especially since a French soldier only gets to drop his rifle once! GI5

All jokes aside... I get it, stuff happens. Just remember that gravity always wins though. People in my house do stuff like that all the time, and things always come crashing down. As long as the rifle still works, I don't think a few nicks are going to cause any more problems than you're already experiencing.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying that you would "feel" a movement as you first placed your finger on the trigger?
Was the contact area on the front or rear hammer hooks (the area where you applied grease)?

No, it's not usual to apply a light coat of grease on the hammer hooks and the sear(s).
It was on the front hammer hooks. I pulled two other trigger groups (one USGI, one SAI) and they had the same contact area. I cycled the action many times after greasing and it seems to work fine now. I've also greased that area before, just now noticed that it wasn't normally done.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you drop your rifle more often than a French soldier! LOL

J/K... hope you didn't do any damage.
Ouch =(

In my defense...it happened because I was changing the channel to watch a gun show.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well than im not the only one with this problem, my M1A does that too. I droped mine over the summer when i stud it up against a wall and it slide over and fell to the ground. I hade the same distinctive clicking that you are talking about but i dont worry about it any more. Since i droped mine the clicking has started to go away over time, just go shoot it, it should be fine.

Good Shooting.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
that poor lil rifle it needs a safe, nurturing home. I run an orphanage for rifles like that and always have room and ammo for another J/K Ive banged rifles around many a time and hard as hell too it usually hurts my feelings more than the rifle. ive never heard any of the strange clicking you described though, i hope shes ok

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I went to mark my 100yd targets and back at the bench my SA M1A was laying on the concrete!!!! Just a minor ding on the stock. Added a little character. No problems at all!

·
Banned
367 Posts
Its a battle rifle and should be fine. Its rugged and built to be dragged through the dirt. Dropping it on the floor should not hurt the function. Might have bent the rear sight.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The rear sight when retracted is suppossed to be able to withstand some abuse. I understand it was not. This ain't an AR it can stand a lickin.

Its a battle rifle and should be fine. Its rugged and built to be dragged through the dirt. Dropping it on the floor should not hurt the function. Might have bent the rear sight.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
If you didn't break an aperture I really doubt you did any damage to the rear sight. Think about how many times your CMP Garand has been dropped and bumped around without wrecking the sight.

Could be the drop jarred the hammer pin or trigger pin a little loose and that's why your first stage feels kinky. Check and tap back in if you need to.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was cleaning my brand new put together LRB rifle when I turned around momentarily and it fell off the padded stool on which it rested, inverted, and smacked into a linoleum floor. It landed on the stock which was okay as I have several. Gun reverberated off the flashhider and that did have me concerned, initially. Checked FH out with the gauge and it was okay. Like you, I was concerned with the sights, but they looked/functioned alright. With a magnifying glass, I carefully examined the receiver and barrel, and checked out the gas cylinder. Shot the rifle within 24 hours and everything functioned fine. No copper in the flashhider splines indicating FH misalignment, great grouping indicating unaffected sights, nothing wrong with the trigger group, etc... Like another poster stated, this platform is combat and USGI tested. HTH

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi
I was hit with a near rocket blast and it threw me about 35 feet and my 14 about 75 feet. My buddys said it bounced on the ground and tumbled alot.
I picked myself and the 14 up and found no damage to the 14 unlike myself.
Fired it for 2 hour's all most constant after I picked it up and it preformed perfectly.
Lucky I did not have the scope assembly attached at the time.
Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
My garand slipped off the rest and fell off the concrete shooting table. Was a new manufacture stock. Dinged up the wood and small ding on the op-rod. Still shoots as good as when I built it.

It happens, just glad it wasnt my Collector Grade WRA.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Shame on you! That's the first time a rifle was dropped and you had to be the guy to do it, shame. Check to make sure the safty spring is where it should be that could be the click and rub.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.