M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know that many states have a gasoline tax to fund road construction, maintenance, etc. For electric vehicles they will probably add a annual personal vehicle tax to make up for the gas they are not using.
Perhaps and it wouldn't be totally unjustified. If you use it, you should help pay for it. Locally, there is a lot of heartburn with the Amish and their buggies. They use the roads for free and the horses hooves and iron wheels are not exactly asphalt friendly. The spineless state reps are afraid of them and won't introduce a bill to make them share the cost of maintaining the roads. I've heard that Lycoming County passed a bill requiring "diapers" on the horse's butt to keep poop off the roadways and pads on their hooves to reduce the damage to the asphalt and the Amish are suing the county for "discrimination".

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know that many states have a gasoline tax to fund road construction, maintenance, etc. For electric vehicles they will probably add a annual personal vehicle tax to make up for the gas they are not using.
Here in the People's Republic of Washington they want to put little black boxes on ALL vehicles that will record the miles driven and charge a PER MILE TAX.

However those same black boxes will not record how many of those miles are driven in another state.

And yes all those CHARGING STATIONS get their power from the grid which again is mainly powered by Coal Fired Generating Plants.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Here in the People's Republic of Washington they want to put little black boxes on ALL vehicles that will record the miles driven and charge a PER MILE TAX.

However those same black boxes will not record how many of those miles are driven in another state.

And yes all those CHARGING STATIONS get their power from the grid which again is mainly powered by Coal Fired Generating Plants.
If CA is going to push electric vehicles then the issues with their power grid outages will keep more cars off the road and reduce traffic gridlock!

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,941 Posts
Well, I know we are probably at the beginning of the end for fossil fuel cars to a large degree like was said in 20, 30, 40 years. I'm 48, if I make it to 78, I can see being the old man that says old man stuff..like when I was young, cars ran off gasoline.

The performance is impressive, absolutely. But not dollar for dollar. If I had $70,000 I could build probably a 2,000 hp twin turbo Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro that would be truly impressive, and make these cars look like golf carts.

Lastly, there is NO equal to hearing a very high horsepower, big cammed motor both at idle and at 7,000 rpm, electric can't make your hair stand on end like that sound.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Electric can make your hair stand on end if you grab one of those orange cables in the wrong spot.

Seriously though as a car guy I see a need or use for both ICE and electric cars. If I lived 5mi from work I would have a BMW i3 to drive and a fun ICE car to take up in the mountains. Plus as someone who works at a power plant....I think everyone should drive electric cars.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You guys do remember that by now we were all supposed to have flying cars, right?

LOL! To fund road construction! I can tell you're not in NY or Va.

It's been a while, though I suspect that it is still true, that the richest county in America still has gravel roads in it. Let's not forget the infamous potholes in NYC.

Fund road construction! Ha!

What I want to know is who will be taxed and how to support the upgrade and then maintenance to the grid?!

I'm too lazy to do math today but will guess the demand on the grid will be orders of magnitude higher than what we currently draw (no pun intended) and we are barely making that work.

For urban dwellers, electric makes total sense; for Red America, not so much.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
For urban dwellers, South of the frost belt, electric makes total sense; for Red America, not so much.
fixed it for ya
If you get inspired to do some math, figure the power it takes to keep the batteries from freezing when it's below 30°F, sitting still.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, I know we are probably at the beginning of the end for fossil fuel cars to a large degree like was said in 20, 30, 40 years. I'm 48, if I make it to 78, I can see being the old man that says old man stuff..like when I was young, cars ran off gasoline.

The performance is impressive, absolutely. But not dollar for dollar. If I had $70,000 I could build probably a 2,000 hp twin turbo Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro that would be truly impressive, and make these cars look like golf carts.

Lastly, there is NO equal to hearing a very high horsepower, big cammed motor both at idle and at 7,000 rpm, electric can't make your hair stand on end like that sound.
m14brian
Tesla versus a Hellcat of comparable value. Tesla wins...

https://www.motor1.com/news/344477/tesla-model-3-hellcat-amg-race/

·
Registered
652 Posts
fixed it for ya
If you get inspired to do some math, figure the power it takes to keep the batteries from freezing when it's below 30°F, sitting still.
Live in the far western suburbs of Chicago. Seems like a tesla on every block, probably know 20 owners very well, 30* is warm here in the winter.

I have never heard of a single complaint.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
...to that I might add: 2020 Tesla Roadster versus any street legal car on the planet. Tesla wins...

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

I'll never be able to afford such a vehicle, but for the lucky 1000 owners who will, I confess some jealousy...
I agree. I still remember the first ride in one of the original two seaters, thought I was back in the early 70s at the drag strip. What incredible power.

A friend of mine will have one for sure, I will let you know when he takes me for ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Every time I attend the big gun show in Louisville and am heading home on I65 south heading uphill toward E Town a Tesla passes me. I drive a Lexus GX and have the cruse control set at 72, in the middle lane. The Tesla passes me in the inner lane, I estimate his speed at 85 or so. I never see him again. This has happened 2 times a year for the last 3 years. Same silver car with Kentucky plates. Always found this impressive for several reasons, seems well engineered and a good range to get it out on the interstate with confidence. Personally I think electric vehicles have their place, more of an around town commuter or errands, but not long range travel without a generator in a trailer being towed.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Speaking of Louisville, KY, my old long range shooting buddy who moved to Louisville in 2018, texted me this week and told me that he had just ordered a Tri-motor Tesla cybertruck. https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
I was a little surprised, but he said a lot of charging stations have popped up in Louisville, and that there are quite a few Tesla owners there.

He was a Marine and is now a commercial pilot (for UPS) and as a pilot he really likes advanced technology. (He did this video in 2016 of him using a drone to see his target impacts on a farm at 750 yards, using his PWS built M40A1 replica. We used to shoot at Quantico together, and would practice at that farm). [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZ-h5oqDsM"]Shooting the M40A1 Sniper Rifle at 750 yards -- DJI Phantom 3 Drone used in spotting hits - YouTube[/ame]

He liked my Model 3 during a visit this year, but wanted something bigger and with more mileage, so he's getting the CyberTruck. (range is ~500 miles with tri-motor CyberTruck).
The design is too radical for me, but to each their own. Anyhow, just a coincidental about Louisville KY and Tesla vehicles. I guess my old buddy is a new convert.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,941 Posts
...to that I might add: 2020 Tesla Roadster versus any street legal car on the planet. Tesla wins...
Lol. The Tesla is fast, but that statement is just categorically false. Try this one on for size in the link. 6.16 @219 mph.
Tesla is honestly fast at mid 10 seconds, but at Irwindale and Fontana drag strips, there are street legal cars every weekend that are faster.
m14brian

https://www.motortrendgroup.com/wor...breaks-quarter-mile-record-hot-rod-drag-week/

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Okay, I think what Tesla (and I) were implying is that the Tesla Roadster is faster than all of the other ‘hyper cars’ on the market, including million dollar hyper cars like the Bugatti, McLaren, Porshe 918, high-end Ferrari, Lamborghinis - and it outperforms those for much less $$.

Ps: Roadster does quarter mile at 8.8 seconds “or less” according to the company...and it even goes around turns too...with a range of 600 miles...and has GPS, heater, A/C, radio, storage, etc - thus It’s a useable hypercar. So it’s not a one-trick pony like the drag car in the link that is only designed to go basically 1320 feet at a time down a straight away...

Anyhow, I think the Tesla Roadster may be the ultimate street legal hyper car - but unfortaunately I won’t be buying one unless I win a lotto (which I don’t play).

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't buy all Tesla's (the car) claims. Others have tested them, and the range, speed and performance have been less than advertised. You have to have the tires at 45 psi to approach the range Tesla (the car) claims. The braking and handling requires less tire pressure for better performance. It seems when it is cold, the range is dropped by about 1/3.

The dashboard is like an iPad. Anyone have one? I do, and it often acts up and doesn't always perform when I want it to. If Tesla (the car company) can make something that ALWAYS works, maybe they should make something like an iPad, I'd be in for one. With a 15 year GUARANTEE. Not a warranty.

I say Tesla (the car) because unlike Ford, Musk doesn't brand the car with his name, rather he uses Tesla's name. I wouldn't want someone to think I was talking about the man, when I'm talking about the car.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I like hearing about people making new stuff. No reason to slam it just because it isn't the global transportation answer to our problems. Near me, the problem isn't energy efficiency or accelleration, but that they grew business and housing such that so many are sitting in cars 2-4 hours a day, working several marathon races from work, and barely able to afford that... And mass transit options lack the Integration to be truly viable for a real commute. Can make a car that runs on fairy farts, and still does nada for stupid growth planning, by politicians who want to court big tech, but not do the planning or infrastructure development that it requires, let alone keep people from pooping on the street.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Okay, I think what Tesla (and I) were you implying is that the Tesla Roadster is faster than all of the other ‘hyper cars’ on the market, including million dollar hyper cars like the Bugatti, McLaren, Porshe 918, high-end Ferrari, Lamborghinis - and it outperforms those for much less $$.XJR-9 based, XJR-15

Ps: Roadster does quarter mile at 8.8 seconds “or less” according to the company...and it even goes around turns too...with a range of 600 miles...and has GPS, heater, A/C, radio, storage, etc - thus It’s a useable hypercar. So it’s not a one-trick pony like the drag car in the link that is only designed to go basically 1320 feet at a time down a straight away...

Anyhow, I think the Tesla Roadster may be the ultimate street legal hyper car - but unfortaunately I won’t be buying one unless I win a lotto (which I don’t play).
...........wonder how it would do at the 24Hours of Le Mans? ICONLOL
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btDc1Gn7khs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btDc1Gn7khs[/ame]
McLaren F1 GTR, XJR-9 based, XJR-15 and 917K, 962, 996 GT1 can be had in street legal models.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts