M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think anyone’s ever tried to drill/tap the underside of the receiver heel? Then bolt from under the stock or even stud the rear of the heel? So no welding, etc... check out my awesome and professional drawing if you can’t picture it...

Probably a dumb idea and would be an expensive mistake if it doesn’t work. But maybe it’s the perfect time being in isolation and all... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Do you think anyone’s ever tried to drill/tap the underside of the receiver heel? Then bolt from under the stock or even stud the rear of the heel? So no welding, etc... check out my awesome and professional drawing if you can’t picture it...

Probably a dumb idea and would be an expensive mistake if it doesn’t work. But maybe it’s the perfect time being in isolation and all... lol
Yeah, you're better off selling that receiver then buying a lugged one.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Perhaps possible, but some technical challenges would exist:

1. The heel is dang hard. You either need the correct tools or spot annealing.
2. The heel is tapered forward so there isn't a lot of "depth" for threading. Need to control the depth very closely
3. As other mentioned, the position of any studs/lugs will need to clear the bolt path.

Your sketch is perfectly acceptable, as everyone knew what you were talking about. Skilled engineers make simple concept sketches like that every day.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
The heel is pretty far back on the stock. The screw would have to come up through the grip, instead of the usual trigger housing recess.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Hi,
Uh...I think Phil brought up a pretty valid point there, and...

Is the reason lugs are welded down from the sides of the receiver.

Not a lot of room in there with the bolt running back and forth, and...

The metal on the heel is not that thick to begin with!

Just sayin!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Lug goes under bolt, and not enough metal at heel to properly thread it. Vertical position of threaded bolt has to come out at the very rear of trigger guard in the stock recess area, so here's where the threads must be relative to the heel in order for torque screw to be properly positioned in a vertical position (~ 3/4" in front of rear heel wall):

Bottom side (note where bolt must be located - rear trigger group/trigger guard recess area):

Hence the need for a rear lug of some sort if a torque screw is to be used....

ON EDIT: here's another stock and side angle of a threaded lug w/ torque screw:

...picture worth a thousand words and all...

·
Registered
374 Posts
The idea of a weldless lug has been explored before. I’m not sure how many he did, but Don McCoy did in fact make at least one. I saw it when the rifle was for sale about 5 years ago. Now it was not executed like the OP’s idea, but hey how many attempts did it take Edison to make the lightbulb? The idea is sound, just need to rethink the execution.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Perhaps possible, but some technical challenges would exist:

1. The heel is dang hard. You either need the correct tools or spot annealing.
2. The heel is tapered forward so there isn't a lot of "depth" for threading. Need to control the depth very closely
3. As other mentioned, the position of any studs/lugs will need to clear the bolt path.

Your sketch is perfectly acceptable, as everyone knew what you were talking about. Skilled engineers make simple concept sketches like that every day.
The other question is where does the hole in the stock go?

Near as I can tell it would be about 1/2 and inch behind the trigger housing.

(And I know an engineer or two that can't draw as well as you...)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've played with idea of weldless lug. My idea was to make a conventional shaped & located lug, with "ears' for better lack of description. The lug would slide back through the bolt path, then rest down onto the ledges on either side of receiver. Would have to make a small vertical cut each side into that receiver ledge with a corresponding portion of the lug to locate it fore/aft. Then silver solder or epoxy in place. Nothing externally visable. Had Garands in mind , but same thing would work on a 14. I figure someone on here brighter than I can say if it plausible or not.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If you want a different idea- how about a "clamp" that holds the receiver down by wrapping over and behind the heal and bolting to the stock from the topside? It could be machined slightly oversized and the gap filled and bedded for a custom fit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hardly took any bruises on this post and I appreciate that lol the term “weldless lug” is a great way to put it. And all of the technical limfacs brought up are awesome. I didn’t think about the “external modification” like clamping the heel.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
If you want a different idea- how about a "clamp" that holds the receiver down by wrapping over and behind the heal and bolting to the stock from the topside? It could be machined slightly oversized and the gap filled and bedded for a custom fit.

You want dibs on partnering on my new BLOCK-N-LOCK ratcheting Lug Substitution System?

You patent and sell it, and I'll take half the money. Sound good?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! Jokes on you it’s already in work!!!

You want dibs on partnering on my new BLOCK-N-LOCK ratcheting Lug Substitution System?

You patent and sell it, and I'll take half the money. Sound good?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts